Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Butternut squash OD

You know how sometimes a recipe that sounds okay in your head just falls flat? Oh, that doesn't happen to you? Well, it does to me. And it did, on Monday. I had a huge excess of butternut squash and I couldn't think of anything to do with it. I'd had a long day at work and cooking sounded therapeutic.

So I peeled it.

DSC_0343

And chopped it.

DSC_0345

And roasted it.

DSC_0347

And mixed it with penne and fresh tomatoes and basil, figuring they would help bring out the summery qualities.

DSC_0349

And it was just...meh. A little too sweet, a little too boring, not quite enough pop. I added some balsamic vinegar, which helped give it a bit more balance, but not quite enough.

Sigh. Next time I'll spend the 5 minutes looking for a recipe on Epicurious. This recipe looks amazing, and it would give me an excuse to buy a pasta maker.

5 comments:

  1. coulda fooled me...this pasta looks perfect and i wonder if you added some spicy sausage if it would help a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good. :-)
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but it really was dull. You might be onto something with the spicy sausage, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are so vibrant! Lovely dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasta makers are completely and utterly worth it. That is all. :)

    (And yes, I'm guessing you've probably realized this some two years after this post...)

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!