Monday, August 11, 2008

I have an addiction

I wasn't planning on going to the Rose Bowl flea market this weekend, partly because I don't need anything, and partly because I knew that the heat would probably exceed my very limited tolerance. However, D has never been, and I guess I've spent too much time bragging about all the amazing mid-century furniture, because he was intrigued and actually had free time for once, so we headed out to Pasadena.

The heat could have been much, much worse, and my thick layer of sunscreen managed to save me from what I've come to think of as a "flea market burn" - you know, a miserable sunburn that manages to semi-permanently etch the outlines of both your tank top and your purse straps into your shoulders. It did not, however, save me from this...

DSC_0085

It is a cake stand, and it is lovely. It cost $15, which is about standard (I might have been able to bargain down to $10, but the heat was making me antsy). The problem? I already own this cake stand. In two different colors.

DSC_0089

I bought my first one at the antique mall that I love, for an amazing $8 (it's chipped) and when I found the second pink one I snatched it up for a similar price. There is really no excuse for buying another blue one, except that I couldn't resist. It was dusty and unloved and I felt bad for it. They are called Jeanette cake stands, and they were made in the 1950's and they are not exceedingly rare. I don't know why I feel compelled to buy every one I come across. Oh well.

Other good finds...

DSC_0083

This beautiful blue enameled aluminum stock pot - $1 and it's in perfect condition!

DSC_0092

A fun piece of fabric that is actually really good quality - $3. I can't wait to play around with it. It is a nice thick cotton - it almost feels like canvas.

4 comments:

  1. I love the cake stand. What a great find. Thank you for stopping by Lucky Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that fabric is so purrty-can't wait to see what you do with it! so many great finds...you did quite well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was just thinking how you were short on cake stands ;) i actually think anything in threes makes a perfect pairing so well done, this will make a lovely centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that cake stand and think it's FABULOUS that you have more than one plus more than one inthe same color! You can stack them and make such a LOVELY display! I'm a little jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!