Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Shopping hiatus, week 5

Shopping hiatus continues as scheduled. Mild to moderate temptations have appeared - new super strappy green sandals from the amazingly cheap shoe outlet near my bus stop, lightweight skirts for spring weather, a grey duvet cover for the bed.

I've resisted all of them (although I'm still kind of thinking about those sandals - they're marked down to $9!) but I did have a couple of thrift store finds.

enamelled bangles
{enameled bangles}

These enameled bangles were $2 each and I'm in love with them. I don't wear a lot of jewelry on a daily basis, but simple bracelets and extra long necklaces are easy for me to throw on quickly without feeling fussy.

thrifting
{thrifting}

The set of three dessert plates was marked down to 98 cents, somehow. They're beautiful English china and I haven't seen anything quite like this pattern. I have some ideas for using the chains - if anything works out I'll share.

Completely non-fun, non-personal shopping - shelves and storage bins for my Ikea closets in the workroom. Trying to do my taxes reminded me that I need a more organized system for storing and inventorying my fabric. I'd given myself four weeks to find an alternative on Craigslist or at the thrift store and I struck out. On the plus side, we managed to make it through Ikea without purchasing a single thing that wasn't on my short (boring) list. That's a test of will power.

22 comments:

  1. That china is adorable! I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I think it's hard not to feel bad if you don't buy the unique things that are so cheap at thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thrift finds! I am kind of in a shopping hiatus as well (last summer I did one for three months and was very successful) but I think that if see something you really want/need and it's on sale, it's okay to go for it, especially if the price is right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always find the best stuff when thrifting! Love those plates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those plates are gorgeous! I should thrift store more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the bangles! i just wish someone would be smart and start making some for small handed people like me! i can't keep them on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those dessert plates are darling. you can find similar pieces at anthropologie for 20x the price!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! I lapsed a little this week: Some tees and an Etsy purchase. But I really weighed up what I was doing so I feel like it was a conscious choice and I'm satisfied. Back on the strict fast this week though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I wasn't so good. I bought two books yesterday, but they were discounted so what would've been a 40 dollar purchase turned into 15.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love thrifting. Nice bangles too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i wish my thrift stores had great stuff like this. mostly mine have 70's stoneware with yellow and orange mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That shoe store is *basically* like thrifting - especially with a mark down like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhh good job on the bangles. they look like kate spade! for a fraction of the price : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you make it through without fighting? I resist Ikea at all costs because I literally cannot get through that store without at least one disagreement!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ADORE China. Great finds!! Perfect tones for Spring :)

    Beatriz.
    thatgirlinpearls.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have a mild panic attack every time i set foot in ikea... your willpower astounds me.

    loving the bangles. especially that little green number.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You go! I lapsed too; while my husband was working on a trip, I got to go to the Art Institute of Chicago. I bought him a tee - he sort of collects them wherever we go - plus haut chocolat for family birthdays. I was okay then had a little guilt when we got home...I had to get it off of my chest here. So thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found small china bowls in that exact pattern in a dusty church basement sale in Nebraska several years ago. I love them and use them often. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do love those bangles. Very good on the will power, that is so tough sometimes. The plates are so cute, nice find. I could see myself eating a slice of red velvet cake off of one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. excellent will power friend...and those enameled bangles are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Bee - We did not fight in Ikea! Although that's probably because there were no decisions to be made. I had a (very short) list of what I needed and it was all business related, so we didn't even have to agree on anything.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!