Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Coconut lime revenge cake

or ... the post in which I apologize and eat my words.

D and I had a conversation in the car over the weekend and he mentioned that he wanted to make a boulder cake at which point, instead of asking the logical question (um, what is a boulder cake?*), I made the mistake of scoffing at him and stating you can't make a cake. Yes, I said it. I'm not proud of it. It just came out somehow. I think I meant you've never made a cake or maybe I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen you eat cake because you don't even really like it.

And so, solely to prove me wrong, he produced this ...

coconut lime cake
{coconut lime cake}

It's Deb's coconut lime cake, but with the added benefit of cream cheese frosting. We served it last night for an impartial jury (aka, mutual friends) and we all agreed it was amazing. Revenge is very, very sweet.

lime coconut cake
{lime coconut cake}

So, I admit I was completely wrong. I will never again tell Dustin he can't do something (unless I'm secretly hoping that he'll do it just to prove me wrong - maybe I can leverage this system to get more desserts).

*Turns out a boulder cake is exactly what it sounds like - a cake carved into the approximate shape of a boulder and decorated to look like a rock. And no, it's not a thing. Dustin just came up with it on the spur of the moment. And don't worry - it's coming, probably in the near future.

28 comments:

  1. haha, too funny. I'm impressed, it looks SO delicious! Maybe I will start challenging Tyler this way so he makes me cakes! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I would have had the exact same response if my husband said he wanted to make a cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so great. what a guy!

    i am eyeing that platter the cake sits on with much envy..
    may i ask where you found it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. coconut+lime is a fantastic pair. and if you add cream cheese? heaven!

    dustin is aweseom!

    so,
    sylvie of silver lining

    ReplyDelete
  6. He did a great job. It looks delicious. At least you'll enjoy eating your words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cake is the best form of revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that combination sounds killer and i'm glad the cake has a slight masculine feel to it as it's only natural :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the nicest "I told you so" you could ever get.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So how does one get their partner to propose such wonderful, silly, scoffable things as making cake? I really must know, so I can scoff and yet get to eat cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha cake as revenge?! i apparently have been doing it all wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mouth is watering. Revenge looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ummm, I think it's awesome that he first wanted to make a cake and second that he did make it. Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Lemon Drop Love. I am going to have to rethink my strategies. Kill them with kindness right?

    p.s. Don't forget to enter my Peruvian Feather Earring GIVEAWAY at itssimplelove.blogspot.com

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg! that is soo delicious i want one now!
    http://barelyvogue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should totally challenge him again. Just to prove this one time wasn't a fluke. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks delicious. i'm inspired to make my own boulder cake : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Summer - the cake platter is from Target, I believe. Although we have a similar one from Ikea.

    @ ALAL - We were actually talking about wedding cakes, because my dad was making a fuss over someone having a rectangular wedding cake, as opposed to a round cake with lots of layers. And we were laughing because it is so odd that someone like my dad would have STRONG opinions about what constitutes an appropriate wedding cake. And then Dustin came up with the idea of the boulder cake. I'm not totally sure how his mind works, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha, i've had many moments like that. thankfully, yours resulted in something marvelous!

    very impressive that he baked that all by himself! my husband has never baked a thing in his life (though i guess i shouldn't speak so soon). :]

    ReplyDelete
  21. too cute! my fiance learned a lot from watching his mom over the years. although he's never baked anything (that i know of), he might surprise me one day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. INCREDIBLE.

    But coconut lime cake that looks like a rock? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL that's the way i used to be with my ex-husband until he caught on. LOL

    it looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  24. mas made cookies the other night and it started horribly ... as in him thinking it might be ok to cut out half of the butter because we didn't have enough. in the end he halved the recipe (sort of) and the cookies were the BEST EVER. yay for boys cooking "). and i think i like the sound of d's cake.

    ReplyDelete
  25. More revenge cake in the world, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's hilarious! I can just hear that happening in our house, too. And the cake looks amazing. I guess I wouldn't encourage the scoffing, but it seemed to work in your favor!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!