Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rachel Getting Married

Nope, not me. I don't actually talk about myself in the third person.

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie ever since I saw the preview, and I finally made it out this weekend. And I loved it. It was really emotional, everyone did a great job acting (including Anne Hathaway, who I was a little nervous about), and it somehow managed to be incredibly sad and happy at the same time. It just seemed very honest.

Movie still from IMDB

Also, the wedding was awesome in a crazy eclectic, do it yourself/with your friends kind of way, and the mini-dress the bride changed into for the reception was so cute that I've already wasted 40 minutes attempting to search out more information about it (no luck and I can't even find any pictures). If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

One warning - it's shot in a home video style, which I appreciate intellectually, but I really wish they had been using a steady cam. I was a little woozy part way through, from all the jumpiness. It might be easier to watch it on the small screen.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm...I've heard such great things about this movie, though I too worry about Anne Hathaway (Get Smart, anyone?). I haven't seen a movie in the theatre since my little sis dragged me to Sex and the City last June (pathetic, I know) but this might have to be the one that breaks my cinematic fast!

    Thanks for the impetus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. besides movies like The Blair Witch Project that rely on hand cameras to add a bit of terror to the scenes, i think it's unnecessary to film like that! i have been excited about this movie though so i'll definitely be renting this one. btw, even though i haven't seen the dress, now i'm determined to find the short one you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, at first, I totally thought that you were getting married!!!

    This sounds like an interesting movie...I just read the synopsis, and it is certainly a scenario that resounds with many families with a recovering addict in their lives. I'll have to check it out this weekend, especially with the great description you gave of the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jotting this down,
    note to self, see this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wish it wasn't a hand camera too. Besides the camera used did you enjoy the movie? I wanted to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Rachel too and I am actually getting married in April. (Weird)My Dad told me about this today and I checked out the preview and it looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you gave us your review! I've been interested in seeing this, just because I'm anxious to see Anne Hathaway play a little more complicated of a character. I'm a little leary of the the whole thing being shot in that free-style form. It would probably make me sick :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so many good things about this that I'm sure I'll see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am so happy to hear there are so many of us that question Anne Hathaway, I just find her to be blah of an actress but I was really wanting to see this. Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!