Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday flowers (make shift edition)

flowers, bedside
{flowers, bedside}

I didn't buy flowers this week because I still had a few spider mums sitting around from Mother's Day. They appear to be indestructible. I picked the least battered of the three, placed it in a tiny striped cup (thrifted, ages ago) and added a few sprigs of garden greenery to make it look fresh (sage + parsley).

flower + herbs
{flower + herbs}

Flower hint - for sparse arrangements I always use a flower frog. They look like this and you can get them in all shapes and sizes. I have an entire collection that I've amassed from the local Japanese market (which is the place to go for the best selection and pricing). All you do is put one in the bottom of your vase and then stick the stems of the flowers into it and they'll stay perfectly in place and upright. Voila.

20 comments:

  1. I love small arrangements like this. Simple perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that flower frog sounds like an ingenious invention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the flower frog tip!! i always get so frustrated when the flowers are flopsy & don't stick up the way i want them to. must make a stop at my local mitsuwa, esp cause we're moving away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. must get a flower frog. really love this friday's arrangment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a gift when it comes to creating simple and beautiful floral arrangements. these are so pretty and perfect for a bedside table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had no idea they were called flower flogs. we always used to call them hedgehogs!

    what a darling arrangement. i appreciate the thriftiness and simplicity.

    big hugs. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bunch of old flower frogs. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flowers really do seem like they can withstand anything. My mom has some spider mums.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is a beautiful little bookshelf you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny! My mother's day spider mums are also ridiculously still fresh and beautifying the bathroom!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had spider mums for three weeks now. I think they'll go past a month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the simple lines of these

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, gorgeous!

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! Now come do the same for my house.

    K thx bai (lol)

    xoxo, Pretty Shiny Sparkly

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful arrangement. I must pick up one of those frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep hearing about these 'Flower Frogs'... Need to invest in one so that my arrangements don't look so droopy...

    ReplyDelete
  17. i REALLY like your lamp. where'd you find it??

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ jenny - It's a really old one that we used to use in our lab. So I guess you would call it vintage. I've never seen something similar in stores, but you might have luck thrifting.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!