Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Vintage silver serving pieces, revealed

Polishing away at my thrifted silver over the weekend.

vintage servers
{vintage servers}

vintage servers
{vintage servers}

I realize these pictures give you no sense of scale (sorry!) but these are beautiful, long handled serving pieces. I love how modern they look. I couldn't get rid of all the tarnish and they still have a few stains, but I love them.

P.S. You guys are the smartest. I tried the baking soda + aluminum foil trick that Abbie recommended and a few others seconded. I lined a dish with aluminum foil, set the silver on it and sprinkled it generously with baking soda before covering it with boiling water. It didn't make my pieces look polished (they were tarnished to the point of blackness) but when I took them out about half and hour later and wiped them with regular silver polish, it was amazing. So much easier than before. I think it cut my polishing time in half.

12 comments:

  1. You are totally inspiring me to track down my mom's old silver and start buffing! Those serving pieces are so pretty, and I bet you'll use them a TON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great trick!

    and i love the shape too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog always reminds me that I need to go thrifting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! thanks for sharing your polishing tips! now to buy some silver polish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've seen quite a few silver pieces at flea markets that have beautiful shapes, but i'm always turned off my the wear and tear. now i know that i can tackle it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are beautiful! nothing like serving in style ;) xo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip! I'll have to try it with ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh. I've been slowly collected a mis-matched set of antique silver too. I think i have 5 pieces. So... it's a project on a long timeline I guess. But those serving pieces are pretty amazing.

    re: jam. I replied on my blog, but I realized that I never return to posts to see answers so the short is: yes, sterilized. No, I don't have a dishwasher either. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so elegant, and definitely have a modern feel. Good thrifting!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!