Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shopping hiatus, finished

The shopping hiatus is over, officially. We went a full 12 weeks this year, with only a few slip ups. I technically may have cheated right at the end, when D and I picked out two of Lily's amazing homestead paintings. BUT, we haven't paid for them yet and they won't be able to come live with us until the end of the exhibition. So that doesn't really count, right?

homestead pair for R&D
{this is our homestead pair - i feel like we adopted two new family members, photo by lily}

I'll be honest - this time wasn't as revelatory as last year. I was able to cruise through for the most part and I spent some time feeling disappointed by that, wondering if I'd made it too easy (should I have cut out thrift store purchases as well? should I have stopped buying flowers every week?).

Then I smacked myself a little and moved on. This was never meant to be an exercise in austerity. I allowed thrift store purchases because I'm comfortable with my thrifting and it doesn't contribute to demand for new items. I purchased flowers every week because they are one of my few indulgences, and the pleasure I get from them far outweighs the cost.

In the end, I think this year was easier partly because last year was so successful (read my thoughts about last year's hiatus here). I did manage to re-think my shopping habits after the last hiatus was over. If I look at my credit card statements, I can see that my frivolous spending is pretty sporadic already, so going a few months without any purchases at all isn't that difficult anymore. I know my trigger points (sales!) so I can more easily avoid them when I don't actually need anything.

This isn't to say that I'm going to stop purchasing stuff altogether, ever. I'm just going to keep focusing on maintaining a tightly edited and thought out list of what items I want/need at any given time. This works well for me because I can refer to the list when a sale hits. I'm not sure if I'll do the hiatus again next year (although I highly recommend this exercise if you haven't tried it before!). I think I'll revisit my spending habits regularly and decide if I'm in need of a refresher at some point.

Things I want to buy:

*Sunglasses (2 pairs - from Zenni - upgraded to SEVERE want, ordering now)
*Perfect workout tee shirts (must be thin cotton, loosely fitted, nice and long, v-neck - thank you to all of you who have given me such good recommendations - I'll be checking them out!)
*Serving pieces from the Heath summer collection (specifically, the summer appetizer set and possibly the serving and cutting board set - still want, D on board)
*Small rug for the my office (idly looking, not urgent)
*New clock for the kitchen area (specifically, this one which D and I are obsessed with - not going to pull the trigger yet, waiting
*A few casual dresses that I can wear both at work and at home
*Cardigans (cardigans are actually always on my mental list, because I wear them every. single. day)

20 comments:

  1. yay, congratulations! i may have to try this next year. enjoy those sunglasses!!

    oh, and the calligraphy? i did do some practicing, but i've always had a penchant for handwriting. you're so creative, i'm sure you'd develop a lovely + unique style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! making a big dent in that list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 12 weeks? I'm on a shopping ban until the end of May and I've already slipped up twice. They were for deals that I couldn't pass up but I'm going to stay on the ban and ride it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so impressed...congrats on doing a great job and rewarding yourself with some beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm obsessed with this cardi for summer. Have it in 3 colors. It is so easy to wear with everything. Thought I'd share...
    http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=8993&vid=1&pid=705616&scid=705616002
    And a big Congrats on doing such a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, a shopping hiatus. that is so impressive! any good tips!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your break fast indulgence looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. isn't the new art feeling wonderful? beautiful choices, and what a great way to conclude your hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh! you're the one that got those paintings!! lucky, lucky lady! i can not wait until lily does more of them bc they are stunning. i think that is a perfect way to break a shopping hiatus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooooooooooohhhhhhhhmmmm. so glad you bought those paintings. so glad.

    i know what you mean about cardigans. i just realized how important they are, as i like to keep my bicep tattoo covered up at work, when the one black one i had got a hole in it and i was desperate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. rachel
    the paintings are stunning...a perfect, well-thought out end to the hiatus.

    I am so inspired by the ease with which you do this. It shows (I think) that the hiatus really has long-term effects. You are such a mindful purchaser. You definitely inspire!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for another successful attempt! Those paintings are absolutely perfect. I'm always on the lookout for cardigans too, I have maybe half a dozen I wear regularly because the damn office is always chilly! Let us know if you find any cute dresses that do double-duty, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super, in terms of your list, perhaps you can make some cardigans with knit fabric and make a rug too - you are always so crafty!
    I love that you survived your shopping hiatus!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel this way too. I think last year's was such a revelation. This year, I've cheated way more, but I also feel like I needed it less. I've remained pretty mindful throughout the year. I think my next money-oriented project will focus not on spending but on saving (which I still magically suck at, even when I spend less)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad I am not the "only one" stuck in this muddy, money mess. I have done body detoxes before but never a spending detox. This may just be on my "to-do-list!" Thanks for sharing your experiences in such a honest way. It helps us all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lily is just going to DIE of happy-ness when she sees this! i'm so jealous you got to go to her show - i'm having one for her at my house in june you should come come come! p.s. your blog is adore
    xo
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrat's on the shopping hiatus. Does Lily sell any paintings online? I would love to buy a few!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These prints are really lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. taha, congrats! i wear cardis every single day too... it is almost embarrassing. almost. glad you were able to get through & that you're just getting a better general sense of budgeting. i think your friday flowers & thrift finds are legit reasons for spending ;]

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, congratulations!! i would definitely like to try this, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!