Thursday, July 10, 2008

Simple supper

We're supposed to be in a heat wave here in So Cal, but it hasn't really hit yet. Every day, they announce the heat wave, and yet the days remain pleasantly sunny but not overly hot. Hmmm...

Anyways, I'm enjoying the fact that it isn't yet too hot to actually cook (we'll get there, don't worry) but it is gorgeous enough to eat outside once I'm done cooking. And the good tomatoes are finally coming in, so I have to think up good ways to use them. This recipe is one of my absolute favorites. It's ridiculously simple, but somehow amazing. It's from Modern Greek, which I bought because I'm a sucker for gorgeous minimalist cookbook covers. Luckily, the cover is just the beginning. Because I learned how to make this...


Okay, I realize it isn't the most beautiful dish ever, but it really is good. And easy.

Seared Fish with Tomatoes (from Modern Greek)
2 swordfish steaks
1 tbsp olive oil
1/8 cup flour
3 tomatoes, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
3 tbsp white wine vinegar

Combine tomatoes and garlic with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Add to fish steaks and refrigerate at least half an hour.

Dredge the fish steaks in the flour. (Reserve marinade). Sear the fish in the olive oil, approximately 3 minutes per side.

Remove the fish from heat and add the marinade to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, until somewhat thickened.

Serve fish with marinade on top.

Yep, that's it. Don't worry - I was skeptical too. Not many ingredients, not a whole lot of chopping or seasonings. It's still good, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!