Thursday, January 29, 2009

Onions, caramelized

If you hate caramelized onions, please just stop reading. Also, what is wrong with you?

DSC_1600

For caramelized onions, as for so many kitchen related things, I trust to Mark Bittman's method. There is nothing wrong with doing what I had been doing for many years, which is slicing onions and cooking them with olive oil over low heat until they turn brown. But when I saw Bittman's instructions in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, I decided to trust him. And it was worth it.

DSC_1602

I'm paraphrasing here, but the general instructions are simple. You slice a ton of onions (they cook way, way down, so you might as well do at least 5 onions) and toss them in a heavy bottomed stock pot with a lid. Don't put any olive oil in there yet! Cook them over medium high heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and sweating and starting to stick to the pan. Then toss in some olive oil (a tablespoon or two will do) and a few pinches of salt. Take the lid off and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are done to your preference (mine take 30 - 40 minutes). They will be a lovely, melting golden mess when you are finished.

Simple, right? And heavenly. I make a largish batch at a time and then store them in the fridge where they'll keep for a week or two. Toss them in them in a quiche, or on a pizza, or in an omelet, or stir them into lentils. You'll love them any way you decide to try them. They are especially tasty with sundried tomatoes, even if you just spread the mixture on crusty baguette.

P.S. If you have onion haters in your household, this might be the perfect way to convert them.

23 comments:

  1. ooooh, delish! I made lentils the other day, and since we always run out of carmelized onions for it, I made a TON, like 3 onions worth. We ate it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them. I made them with butter and a touch of . Was that horrible? It was delish and made the best burgers ever. After I just ate the leftover onions. Terrible of me! I'm not even a big onion person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of crazy person doesn't like caramelized onions? Outsiders...

    ReplyDelete
  4. just became an onion lover a year or two ago.
    (i was pretty proud of myself)
    now I can't eat a burger without them.
    these look incredible!!
    can't wait to try this method- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the lentils too! I made them! They were so good. You are my go-to for recipes now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, YUM!!!!!!
    I just LOOOOVE your blog. It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AUGH! this sounds sooo good. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looove carmelized onions! So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy yummy yum!! I can almost smell them through the screen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! Finally, instructions I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tip - I love carmelized onions, but they can be so time consuming. I like the idea of making a big batch and storing them for a week or two... delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband is the biggest onion lover, and I will certainly make him happy by trying your delicious suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Dinner at your house always sounds perfect. And cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm so tasty. Good on a grilled cheese with really old cheddar too. Or, better still, caramelized shallots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm surprised that when you add the oil makes such a difference, but i'm definitely going to instruct my cook to start doing it this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made caramelized red onions last night- added brown sugar and balsamic vinegar -
    served with baked apples and roast pork and gingered baby carrots.
    I love them on a tart too-

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just had to stop by and tell you I'm making the lentils AGAIN tonight. We love them SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore caramelized onions :) I eat them on everything, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, with roasted green beans, etc. Now you've got me craving them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rachel I love caramelized onions. I even love adding them e spinach. I make them the way you did in the begining, but I will for sure try your new way. Thanks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to hate all kind of onions until I discovered them about a year ago. Caramelized is the way to go. Although I prepare mine differently. Slow roasted with butter, canola oil and pinch of sugar for some extra caramel taste.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!