Thursday, January 15, 2009

Black lentils with caramelized onions

I've introduced you to my favorite red lentils. Well, I also love black lentils. I got addicted to this recipe because Trader Joe's carried dried black lentils at an amazing price and I always had them on hand. Now, of course, they no longer carry them and I am desperately looking for another source. I try to have a zen like attitude towards TJ's whimsical stocking methods (they find amazing foods, keep them in circulation for long enough that you come to rely on them, and then sometimes said foods suddenly and inexplicably disappear, and while they sometimes later reappear, you might never see them again and while I feel like this is probably an apt metaphor for some deep life lesson, I still don't appreciate it) but it can be difficult.

Whew. Rant over. The point is, black lentils hold their shape well, which makes them ideal for this recipe, so if you can get your hands on some, I recommend it.

DSC_1619

Black Lentils with Caramelized Onions (adapted from Vegetable Heaven, makes 6ish servings)

Boil in a large pot of water until cooked to your preference (~45 minutes):
2 cups black lentils

Meanwhile, saute over low heat until soft and golden brown:
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced onions

When the lentils are cooked, drain them and return them to the pot. Stir in, along with the cooked onions:
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste

I like to serve this dish, like most lentil dishes, with fresh naan (another TJs staple I rely on much too heavily - please never let them discontinue their frozen naan) and a dollop of greek yogurt.

23 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. Lentils are my favorite. I'm very excited about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what you mean. one time, when i was ridiculously excited to pick up their frozen pesto gnocci for dinner (which you introduced me to) i was flippantly told that it was no longer around. i left the store with tears in my eyes. i never said i wasn't dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo making this tonight! Thank you! I hope you have a beautiful and inspiring day!
    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful and easy. I'm off to find black lentils. Thanks Rachel for another fine recipe. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmm. i love lentils. and i KNOW what you're saying about the little caviar ones especially.

    I think Surfas carries them. And I'm pretty sure Cooportunity (on broadway and 17th in Santa Monica) carries french lentils in their bulk section. Which makes them way less expensive than buying them in the little box.

    Do you think you could substitute the french ones if you don't have black?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to TJ's frozen naan! I totally feel your frustration with the unpredictable inventory at Trader Joes. Every time I walk in the store, I have to hope that they have my favorite dishes -- and if they don't, that it is only a temporary lapse in inventory.

    I have not been adventurous with beans, but this recipe looks delicious and easy enough to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds SO good, I'm excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can honestly say I've never cooked a lentil dish, but this one is right up my alley! And I totally feel ya with the TJs thing. My hubby was hooked on the Ocumare chocolate bars. He got them every week. Then one day, poof! Gone! Same with my beloved masala burgers. But those returned after a few weeks. Very strange. I guess it helps you appreciate what you have. so yes, very zen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yummy! I love black lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, I haven't been shopping at TJ's long enough to find my favorites out of stock but I found so many great things when I went Monday night so I certainly hope this doesn't happen to me as well.

    This sounds like a great dish! Anything with caramelized onions has my vote. And I second TJ's naan. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh! I am going to make this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can find these Black Lentils at East Indian/Pakistani grocery stores.

    I got my first at Trader Joe's as well. Looking forward to trying this. Looks easy and good calories. Love onions so this must be good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh this sounds really good! How many does this serve? have you ever made majudarah - orangette has an amazing recipe for it (but you MUST add two teaspoons of cumin) and if you like this you would definitely like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. For a more Moroccan flavour, try substituting the sugar and vinegar with a dash of pomegranate molasses and some baharat spice mix. Cook the spice mix briefly with the caramelized onions, and add the molasses when you mix it all together. Really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just made this and it is so easy and so good! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found black lentils at Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  17. just got some at Whole Foods...gonna try this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Making this dish for the second time tonight. Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe! I have been eating it cold for lunch over a bed of arugula or spinach. MMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was the most delicious lentil meal I've made thankyou, I didn't have any naan bread, I had wholemeal Lebanese bread brush it with olive oil and garlic spinkle tuscan herbs on and baked delish

    ReplyDelete
  20. Black lentils found at Coles believe it or not!










    1

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have found black lentils at Whole Foods under their Brand Name 365...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Donalds (in Canada) also has them.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!