Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Classic quiche

You know how I said I always make two pie crusts, even when I only need one?

DSC_0611

This is why. Growing up, quiche was one of the ultimate treat meals in our house. Few things beat a flaky crust and a rich, eggy, cheesy filling. Traditionally, my mom makes quiche with swiss cheese and a layer of asparagus. I've branched out and starting tossing in whatever combination of fillings I have on hand.

DSC_0612

This time it was thinly sliced, caramelized onions, a scattering of sundried tomatoes, and some fresh basil. I used Pyranno rather than Swiss, for a little more flavor.

DSC_0616

Classic quiche (makes 4 - 6 servings)

Place in a 9" pie crust:
Whatever filling you desire
Beat in a medium bowl:
1 cup milk
5 eggs

Add to milk mixture, then pour over filling:
1 small onion, minced (if you don't already have onion in your filling)
1/2 lb shredded cheese

1 tsp salt (adjust if you are using a salty cheese)
1/8 tsp pepper

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, until the top is lightly browned.

DSC_0618

Go ahead and try to resist a second slice.

17 comments:

  1. I love quiche too....it is one of those foods you can eat anytime day or night. One of my best food memories is of a friend coming over unannounced just after we brought our newborn home from the hospital. She brought the most delicious tomato and spinach quiche (other goodies too). I think I ate half of it right then and there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yumzorz! wish my momma made me quiche! our ultimate treat meal was stopher's frozen pizzas. we had very different childhoods :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I can see why only a few crumbs remain on your plate :) My husband loves quiche, and I will definitely be trying it this weekend...although, I do not have the talent to make crusts, so I'll have to opt for the store-bought type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I know what I'm having for dinner

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the idea of easy meals that just require opening your fridge to see what you have on hand. obviously you make this seem a lot easier than it is, but nonetheless, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos look beautiful and so tasty too! I've always been afraid to make quiche for fear that it will turn out spongy and overly eggy, but Emily is right----you make it look so easy! And anything with gooey melted cheese can't be that bad, I guess...I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous quiche! For some reason I always feel like I'm going to have a heart attack after I eat quiche. I think it's the combination of eggs and pastry crust. But it's DELICIOUS while I'm eating it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to try to make this quiche this weekend. I don't know if its gonna look as good as yours though! :D YUMMERS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel- Are you sure you don't want to come live with me?! I think I gain weight everytime I see one of your photos!! I LOVE quiche I will have to give this a try. I guess this would be a good way to get my practice in on the pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummmmmm...you are gifted at taking photos of food...mine never turn out this perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you lucky girl. now every day, you be sure to give your mom a Kiss for all that she taught you - from quiche to gussets. she is a keeper.

    now, if there is any quiche left, I'd love a slice!
    you really make things look de-lish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love quiche but i've never made it myself - this is going on the list of must try recipes, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you inspired me and i linked to your recipe with my own adaptations. yumm-o

    ReplyDelete
  14. can't wait to try this, can it be skim milk??

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ yaya girl - yes, skim milk is fine! i use 1%, because that's what we drink, but i've made it with skim and whole milk as well. it's a bit richer with whole milk, but perfectly delicious with skim.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh, you make it sound so easy! I can't wait to herald the spring with a home-made quiche at the weekend! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. We put plain, greek-style, low-fat yoghurt in our quiche. I think it adds a creaminess and a tanginess that is delicious. Maybe something to try? ;)
    Quiches are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!