Thursday, June 23, 2011

Counting backwards

We are really trying to get in gear here, wedding wise. The biggest weapon in my arsenal is the calendar.

scheduling
{scheduling}

I do this for every big project, not just wedding stuff, but it's particularly helpful in this situation. I printed out our calendar for the next three months and jotted down some important dates (when the invites should go out, when the rsvps should come in, when our deposits are due) and then started scribbling all over it in pencil. I started on our wedding date and filled in that week, then worked backwards, setting deadlines for purchases and decisions and projects. Success is 90% proper scheduling, I think.

Ideally, I'd like to spend the week before the wedding doing nothing but baking and relaxing, so I blocked out the whole week for that. I do know how weddings go, so I'm not expecting it to actually work, but I'm committed to giving it a try. I'm restraining myself and not planning nearly as much baking as I did for my sister's wedding, but it's tough. I enjoy baking and I'd really like to do most if not all of our cakes and cookies. Of course, the back up plan is just to purchase some or all of it from various bakeries a few days before. We're doing a dessert buffet and not having a huge wedding cake and you don't need to pre-order normal sized cakes. We'll see how it works out, but at least it's penciled in.

Currently, D is wrangling with the invitations and I'm a flower making machine (both activities clearly noted on the schedule). We are blowing through all kinds of Netflix in the evenings. I just re-watched both seasons of The Riches, which I loved when it was on. So bummed when it got cancelled.

18 comments:

  1. oh i do love being type a and findinf similar kindred spirits. your plans sound like a great idea - they don't always work but i hope it goes that as much as possible. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I'm going through the same steps. I'm interested? What are you going to have on your dessert buffet. We are doing one, and I still need a few ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever! Good look with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your calendar looks way more efficient than my endless series of Post-it notes. You are *totally* on top of everything. YOU GOT THIS. Good luck!!!

    p.s. I still admire all of the work & love you put into your sister's wedding. During our wedding-planning, I bookmarked her wedding as inspiration! We even had a honey-vanilla wedding cake with lemon curd layers. It was excellent. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how organized you are. I hope you can have that week before your wedding to do what you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great work! and i'd say success is 95% proper planning :) or maybe 100%! good luck with your wedding plans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still smitten with your pretty paper flowers =)

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure if anyone can keep a handle on things, it's you guys! And I would totally keep the week-of clear, you never know what's going to pop up last minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. *love* the scheduled craft time, and anything resembling gantt.
    ...wish there had been more than a few of us watching the riches — it was so deliciously dark!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Ashley - I should post about the dessert buffet soon! We are planning on having several different cakes and cookies and I've been working through how much of everything I need. We're also planning to do a mock up with my cake stands so I can figure out how to place everything, so there'll be plenty to share, soon.

    @ nicole - Honey-vanilla cake with lemon curd sounds heavenly! If you made it, I'd love to see the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job! I totally agree that planning is key, and at the very least hopefully you will get a sense of calm knowing there is a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. planning always pays off. all your baking is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the organization! I had a color-coded wedding binder and a deadline counter also! Best advice I got? Two days before the wedding put it a ll away and enjoy being the bride! Too late to change anything :) Congrats!

    www.MrsCapretta.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i need to learn from your organizational skills!

    p.s i LOVE my belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed with your calendar!
    I'm getting married in about 2 weeks (!). I check in with the wedding book every no wand then to make sure I haven't missed something.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck on planning your wedding! I just got married two months ago, and it has been wonderful :) Hopefully you won't wind up like me: doing all of the last minute details the night before!! I recently discovered your blog, and I have to say I'm in love with it!

    Katherine
    http://pastaandpeonies.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great idea! I keep trying to do this for my own wedding, but always become too overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is that the month view of the google calendar? I would totally love to use this to help organize my boss's travel!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!