Thursday, October 30, 2008

Forcing fall

The weather has been up and down here, so I'm trying to tempt fall by whipping up seasonally appropriate recipes.

DSC_0589

Applesauce is comforting because it simmers away on the stove without much work and it makes the house smell heavenly.

DSC_0591

I decided to make the simplest applesauce possible - apples (unpeeled, because I hate to get rid of the nutrients and fiber in the skin), a little bit of water (approximately 1/4 cup per 4 large apples), and a couple tablespoons of lemon juice for acidity. Cook on low for 25 minutes and then use an immersion blender to make it smooth.

DSC_0594

I made such a large batch that it's obvious I'll have to freeze some for later use, which is fine by me.

10 comments:

  1. i had to bring out my big blanket last night for the first time and it would have made my night all the more complete with a bowl of applesauce. such a great idea (my apples are still in the bag, oops).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Hey,I was going to call you and ask if you have a recipe for yummy mulled cider. I have to make it for a get-together, and you always used to bring it to Girl's Christmas. Shoot me an email, or better yet, write up a post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's so simple!
    i can't wait to use up my apples- thanks for emboldening me to try new things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous...this looks so tasty! And you're brilliant for making extra---you can use it in recipes! Mmm...applesauce muffins...latkes and applesauce. The possibilities are endless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my stomach's best friend :) I have sooooo many apples from my weekly CSA box that I didn't know what to do with...until today! The hubs loves applesauce and quiche, so it will be a doubly delicious time this weekend.

    Thank you for being an epicurean inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How deliciously yummy! This apple sauce looks fabulous. I love that you keep the skins on! Very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love applesauce, especially home-made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. homemade applesauce. yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apples really do scream fall (that & pumpkins). & apple sauce is a favourite of mine. Yesterday I made apple butter for the first time ever & it was great. The peeling took a long time, but the cook was done in the oven so it was pretty easy 'cause I prettymuch got to forget about it & the canning was pretty quick too. I just wish I got more apple butter out of the end result. Don't you find that apples cook down so much.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!