Monday, October 13, 2008

Coconut rice pudding - as promised

I love rice pudding, and I love coconut. I don't remember where on the internet I found this recipe, but it was an instant favorite. It takes very little effort, but you do need at least 45 minutes to let it simmer on its own. There is very little prep involved, other than opening cans of coconut milk. Speaking of coconut milk, this is one occasion where light is definitely okay. The pudding is incredibly rich, and you won't miss the extra fat at all.

DSC_0258

Coconut rice pudding (makes a lot - probably 10 servings)
3 cans coconut milk, 14 oz. each (I used light)
1/2 cup sugar (increase slightly if your coconut is unsweetened)
1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened)
2/3 cup arborio rice (you can use other rice, but this one is the best)
3/4 tsp salt
Dash of vanilla extract

Combine everything except the vanilla in a large saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat and then simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. The pudding thickens up considerably and it's hard to resist licking the spoon. Once the rice is cooked and the pudding is thick, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.

DSC_0266

Tastes equally great hot or cold, in my opinion. And especially lovely with some fresh nutmeg grated over the top.

19 comments:

  1. THANK YOU...! I can't wait to make this pudding! It will be the perfect treat for a cold evening treat!
    I'm glad I peaked at your blog before I went to the store. Yummm...
    Have a golden day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a delight! THANK YOU THANK YOU :) These are two of my favorite things as well. I can't wait to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a perfect little dessert for the fall. i LOVE that little bowl that you've put it in as well, it makes it even more appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops accidentally deleted my comment!

    I am so going to make this recipe. Thanks for visiting my blog, I had to come over and see you here. And by the way, I love free food too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...looks divine. There's something about rice pudding that feels both comforting and indulgent at the same time. And the coconut makes this one sound that much better! It's so going on my 'to do' list...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious. Rice pudding is one of my all-time favorite treats, and this recipe is shockingly simple! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have been seeing recipes for rice pudding popping up all over the place-it must just be the perfect treat for fall. i like the idea of coconut, definitely going to have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so homey and comforting. I will have to put this on my list. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious! I have never tried coconut rice pudding, but it combines two of my favorite foods. I always appreciate all of your recipe sharing goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I am in love.
    Cuckoo for Coconut.
    Rice Pudding 24/7.... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for this! love rice pudding...and definitely going to make this1

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw this posted on Joyce's blog - looks delicious! I'll give it a try. Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am definitely trying this, maybe even today. I have all the ingredients in the house. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rice pudding is easy as pie, and very tasty. I make mine by taking leftover rice, putting milk, coconut milk and water in and putting it back on the rice cooker. I also like to put raisins in mine. Server warm or cold with Cinnamon sugar on top. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this last night and it was so good! It came out a bit too sweet, however, and so I will put less sugar in next time but will be sure to make this again and again. I can't wait for the leftovers, too sweet or not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm here from the link at The Kitchn and just wanted to say I made this tonight for our department potluck tomorrow, and I'm so pleased! I've never made rice pudding before and am not much of a cook, so I was a little apprehensive, but this was so easy and came out really well. I couldn't find sweetened coconut shreds, so I got unsweetened, and they were finely shredded instead of like in the photo. I added maybe an extra tablespoon or two of sugar, and used about a half teaspoon of vanilla.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I think this may be the first time I've ever brought something I made to a potluck, instead of going out and buying something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, vegan rice pudding! I cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've made this several times and I love it! All natural and vegan.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!