Monday, October 20, 2008

Apple pie with pecan crumb topping

For a long time, I wasn't a big fan of apple pie. I don't like gooey, overcooked chunks of apples, I don't like the weird thick filling they sometimes have, I don't like how bland it tends to be.

Then I found this recipe, and I learned that Pippins are really the only apple that is tart enough for my pie tastes and things started coming together. Buying a device that peels and thinly slices apples made the whole process much less arduous.

Making a pie

This recipe is adapted from a little pamphlet of pie recipes that I picked up a few years ago. It's become a staple in our house. The crumb topping is my own invention and you'll probably see it popping up more as the holidays approach - it's the same one I use for sweet potato casserole.

Dutch Apple Pie
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
6 - 8 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 cup heavy cream

Pecan Crumb Topping
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp butter

Place sliced apples in pie shell. Mix together the cream, spices, sugars and salt and pour over the apples. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the crumb topping. Place all ingredients except the butter in the food processor and pulse until you have a fine mixture. Add the butter and pulse several more times, until the mixture begins to come together and become crumb-like.

Remove the pie from the oven briefly and layer the crumb topping over it. Put the pie back in the oven and cook for another 15 - 20 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned. The apples should be tender, but not completely soft.

I like it best served warm with vanilla ice cream, but the leftovers are pretty good cold, eaten straight out of the dish.

14 comments:

  1. Ah, apple pie. I will never forget the one my younger sister baked for me on my 17th birthday... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldn't trust myself near this pie...it's the pecan crumb topping that set me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh- the pie looks amazing. But what really gets me is the thought of that crumb topping with sweet potatoes. Can't WAIT to hear more on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What time is dessert? It looks so mmmm good! I'm can hardly type...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to come to your house for a dessert party. Yes, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try this apple pie recipe! It looks too good! I just came upon your blog and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet potato casserole?! That sounds absolutely divine -- I can't wait!

    The beautiful photos you took of your pie making process inspires me to bake...or at least motivate my husband to bake again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! We made these this weekend too :)

    Your crust looks perfect! How did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...feel free to send one my way...thanks so much...xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. why oh why can't you live next door so I can hop over and borrow a cup of sugar or have a taste... of that pie! looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy! I love tart apple pie and use to use MacIntoshes...they're hard to find here though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe, I love your photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will be definitely attempting to bake this today! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!