Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Whole lemon tart (courtesy of Smitten Kitchen)

My dears, you must make this.

Whole lemon tart

It is the most mindblowingly delicious lemon tart you can imagine. If you have a food processor it comes together in a snap. I made it for a coworker's birthday last week and we all ate seconds and then thirds and then I hid it in the fridge and polished it off myself after everyone had gone home for the day. Sadly, I am not kidding. I think I would have growled if anyone had come in and asked for the last slice.

whole lemon tart, sliced

The recipe is from Deb, naturally. Start with her unshrinkable tart crust recipe (make it a day ahead - it's easy as can be but the dough needs time to rest and the crust needs to freeze before you bake it, so it takes more time than you might think) and then proceed to the lemon filling.

Meyer lemons are the magical secret here. You only need one and you use the whole thing, peel and all. Amazing. If you read through the comments on her post, you'll notice that quite a few people had trouble with the recipe. I think that maybe it's the process of incorporating the butter that makes the difference. I added my melted butter in a thin stream while the food processor was running, so it was almost like an emulsification. If you are going to whisk it in by hand, I really recommend adding it slowly and whisking vigorously.

Oh, and I added raspberries because they were on sale and I think they were the perfect contrast to the lemon. I just sprinkled them in there before baking the tart.

22 comments:

  1. I will be trying this one. I love anything tarty. Thanks again! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely beautiful and looks DELICIOUS! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks incredible! and the raspberry addition sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too bad I am not next door, I would just invite me myself and I right over for a piece. Lemon is my favorite taste in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely going to make this! I've been on a lemon kick since the weather warmed up, and this looks like the perfect next project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon is my favourite flavour. This looks divinely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you really should warn us when you're going to post pictures like this with such intricate details. you make my oatmeal less appealing each and every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding it to my to-do-list for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. man oh man! Maybe I could use gf flour? I made teh BEST pumpkin pie the other day with gf pie crust(amazing)! this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my in laws just gave me their food processer...so i'm in for sure! i'll attempt this weekend.

    looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Deb's recipes. she's amazing. yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my....can NOT wait to try this! there's really nothing like a lemon tart on a hot summer day, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I'm truly in need of a food processor :) This looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This looks fantastic! I will have to try this, my best friend has a meyer lemon tree - purfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh...I do love coming by and seeing what's cooking. I adore lemon and will be trying this next week when I host all of my husbands fly-fishing friends for dinner. THANK YOU- and I will be hiding the leftovers...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! Lemon is always so yummy in a tart and I love your addition of raspberries, they look so pretty against the yellow. Maybe I might get around to trying this at the weekend. Thanks for the recipe link!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yummy. i must try this recipe. thanks!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!! I really DO need to make this!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!