Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What to read in Hawaii (or poolside anywhere)

What I read...

vacation-reading

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
I loved this but it isn't really poolside reading. I don't think I did it justice, because I was putting it down and picking it up and splashing water all over it and getting distracted by waiters with pina coladas. It deserves better treatment, like a quiet afternoon on the couch with a cup of tea.

The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory
This is not fine literature but it's addictive, particularly if you are an avid historical fiction fan like I am. Start with The Other Boleyn Sister (I'd already read it).

Towards Zero by Agatha Christie
I love the Dame. This was a re-read for me (I've read every single mystery she's ever written) but I found it for a buck at a used book store and I needed back up material. Perfect escapist fun.

16 comments:

  1. sigh* reading and Hawaii, so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Oscar Wao. I read "The Inheritance of Loss" in Hawaii, and "Runaway." I definitely recommend the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Other Boleyn Girl. I haven't read any of her other books, but you are so right. They are great for history lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be picking up The Boleyn Inheritance, thanks for the tip! I am such an historical fiction junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Junot Diaz book. He's a professor at MIT (where I work). I see him on campus sometimes...I want to be like, "Hey Junot, loved the book!" Ha ha, but I'm too big of a dork to do that. Wish I had read it in Hawaii, though. Instead, I read it in crummy/old/rainy/cold Boston. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendations. I will be needing some historical fiction to keep me amused in Charleston.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, did you finish all three? You're a fast reader...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I wish I could lounge poolside and read awesome books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phillipa Gregory... I am addicted. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wait - that's a christie that I haven't read! :) my mom adored all of gregory's books and i've been reading them as a tribute to her. great bodice rippers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the list...just started my Summer so i always need books to read..what a lovely blog you have....so glad i came by...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! Just discovered your beautiful blog...very much admire your skill with photography and subject matter. Looks like you're having a grand time in Hawaii! Thanks for the reading recommendations--I'm always on the hunt for a good read. Happy Days :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just bumped into you blog... and have to say... have added you as a favorite... all because of Agatha! Well done you! Currently buried in adventure with Monsieur Poroit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely to have the time to catch up with reading. I've read Phillipa Gregory and of course Agatha Christie - perfect holiday reading but I don't know the first book so may need to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!