Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Margarita cupcakes

I wasn't planning on making cupcakes last week. But as I was pulling out the tequila and limes to get ready for D's graduation celebration, I started wondering if a party without dessert would be much of a party. I'd seen recipes for margarita cupcakes floating around in the blogosphere, but I was feeling lazy and short on time and I happened to have a box of yellow cake mix (for emergencies! - you know, cupcake emergencies) in the back of the cupboard.

margarita cupcakes
{margarita cupcakes}

So, a basic yellow cake mix, prepared as directed + a healthy dash of tequila + a couple tablespoons of lime juice + lime zest and we had delicately flavored cupcakes. I whipped up a basic buttercream, again adding a bit of tequila and lime at the end.

For the edges, I used coarse sugar, mixed it with a healthy dose of sea salt (taste to make sure you have a good ratio) and added a couple drops of green food coloring. Once the cupcakes were frosted, I simply rolled the edges in it.

sugar/salt
{sugar + salt}

Pretty, simple, and fun. I don't know if everyone would be a fan of salt on their cupcakes, but I loved it.

P.S. The empanada recipes were mostly from Smitten Kitchen. I made chicken with olives , beef with raisins (don't leave out the raisins - I know it sounds odd, but they make the recipe) and potato with chorizo and bell peppers. I also made my standby tomatillo salsa.

P.P.S. There is still time to vote for my sister's wedding over at Project Wedding. Go here and cast your vote. Hint - it features my homemade cake. Big surprise, right?

31 comments:

  1. genius! i'm thinking of baking my own cupcakes for my wedding, but if i don't i hope you don't mind if i pass your recipe along to the bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These cupcakes are almost too perfect to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the signs, love the dash of green, and the salt is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! and i'm sure delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the sugar/salt "sprinkles" are genius. you are so sweet to put such heart into celebrating your guy's graduation. i am now regretting the fact that i've done a terrible job at celebrating my BF's new job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DELICIOUS! My mom loves margs, maybe I will make these for hers

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very cute idea. I love the blue sprinkles on the cupcake edge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh honey, these look delicious! i am in love with it over here.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the idea! I'm getting ready for a mexico themed 4th of july party (i know, the irony) and this would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Genius! Love the edge w/salt/sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FOR YUM!

    Great idea! I might have to use these for our end of the summer fiesta we always have. Complete with pinata!

    ReplyDelete
  12. see, now that is innovative. and easy. way to go!

    oh, and salt on top, yep, loving that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, margarita cupcakes? Never heard of them, but how cute! I bet they are delicious too.

    liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of margarita cupcakes, but i do love margaritas... and I do love cupcakes. I might have to give this a try... love how you decorated these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are awesome! What a great dessert suprise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You, my friend, need to be running a sweet shop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mouth watered just from the pictures alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! Big yum! These are genius!

    ReplyDelete
  19. do you have a trick to getting the frosting so perfect?? I have such a hard time frosting cupcakes and cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel a cupcake emergency coming on myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. that rim of colored sugar really seals the deal. so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just went to a cupcake place in Glendale but I was so tired that I didn't get a cupcake. I just wasn't feeling it. They had a margarita cupcake and I wanted it in a way. Damn I really should have just got one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are darling little cupcakes! I love the rim of teal sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i might have to start eating cupcakes! omg, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those look delicious!

    I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so in love with these cupcakes! I couldn't resist adding them to our link luv roundup, come take a peek:
    http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2009/06/link-luv-roundup_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just featured you yummy looking cupcakes on my blog, The Handmade Experiment in a list of recipes I want to try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Emily
    http://emilyflippinmaruna.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/must-make-monday-anyone-hungry-for-dessert/

    ReplyDelete
  28. These cakes look positively mouth-watering! I featured your cupcakes on my blog, hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!