Thursday, February 3, 2011

The best combo

I've been all over this lately - ginger + shallots + garlic.

shallots
{shallots + ginger - garlic not pictured yet}

All finely minced, quickly sauteed in a bit of vegetable or sesame oil. Tossed with green veggies.

I love using this treatment on bok choy (blanch the bok choy first, drain and then toss in the skillet with the g/s/g saute and add a splash of soy sauce to deglaze the pan).

But it's also good on broccoli (steam broccoli, then toss in the skillet with the g/s/g saute, adding a wee bit of extra oil if needed).

And seriously excellent on green beans (same drill as the bok choy).

It's nice to have a really easy go to combo, especially because we normally keep all three on hand.

19 comments:

  1. I love that combo and love it even more with fresh red chilis added too! Always feels very healthy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shallots make everything better. and they're beautiful. no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes. And so good for you! Your body is thanking you right now. I love shallots, mostly because I love mini things, and shallots are like mini onions to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shallots are a gift from heaven. I feel like my life before shallots was flavorless by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this sounds good and fresh. Husband grew up eating a lot of soy sauce and bok choy and I love it and hope to learn to cook with them more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the idea. i have fresh ginger and broccoli in my fridge waiting to be combined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I love reasons to use ginger in the winter, it somehow makes a dish feel warm and cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooooooh thanks for the inspiration. this sounds amazing!
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmhmmmm. I like throwing a little fresh jalapeƱo in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious, I love that combo, too! Anything with ginger makes me very happy. I made a ginger & clementine cake for Christmas... Almost died.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom loves garlic, she makes everything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds simply delicious! Need to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd add that to a brown sugar/soy glaze to marinate chicken in and serve over rice. Num

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love ginger! And I love great Asian flavors, bok choy sounds delicious right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a big fan of garlic + shallots + veggies. Add some sliced serranos or jalapenos, or maybe just some red pepper flakes, and I'm really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i second the addition of red pepper flakes. mmm, sounds so good right now.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!