Wednesday, November 10, 2010

New skirt!

I have been meaning to make a skirt forever. Lest you think that is an exaggeration, I scrolled through my archives to see when this fabric was purchased. January. Maybe not forever, but way too long for a project that takes less than two hours.

print skirt
{print skirt}

The fabric is silk twill (was marked down from $20 a yard to $5) and it feels amazing.

I used the wonderful Freshly Picked elastic waist skirt tutorial but made a few changes of my own.

The tutorial calls for the length of your fabric to be double the width of your waist. This gives you a very full skirt, which looks adorable. On everyone else. I tried it on while it was pinned and quickly realized it wasn't going to work for me. I ended up using 1.5 times the width of my waist, and I love it.

I didn't have elastic quite as thick as I'd like for a defined waist band (3" would be ideal, I think). I was worried that my 1.5" elastic wouldn't really make a statement and would look lazy. So I made a simple fold over pocket and hid the elastic altogether.

To get the most out of my fabric, I cut two pieces for the skirt panel rather than one. I wanted the skirt to be a bit shorter, to wear with tights. My fabric was 45" wide, which meant that folding it in half gave me enough  length (22.5"), even once I allowed for the upper pocket for the elastic. That meant I could use the entire piece of fabric, rather than cutting off something twice as long and narrower. Sewing up one extra seam was definitely worth it.

Elastic waistband skirt

For a quick summary of the steps I used, you can click on the link below the picture. Please note that I'm 5'6, so if you are very tall or very modest, this might not work for you. However, I had enough length to easily make the pocket for the elastic and I had a relatively deep hem, so you could certainly make a skirt a bit longer than the one pictured here using the same technique.

EDIT - I just noticed that if you're a newbie sewer, you might want a couple of additional tips, because I don't go into great detail on this step by step.

1. The iron is your friend. Every time you make a fold that you're going to want to sew, press it well. Every time you sew a seam, press it. For an open seam, like in step 3, you should press it twice. First press it flat to strengthen the bond between the top and bottom thread, then you should gently open the seam with your fingers and press it open, so that it lies nice and flat when you wear the skirt.

2. Pins. I hate pinning because it always seems like a tedious waste of time, but it was useful here. When you need to sew a folded seam, iron first to get a nice crisp fold, then add a few pins to keep it all in place. As you sew on the machine, pull each pin out just before you sew over that area. Once you're experienced, you won't need to stop the machine or even slow down much to do this.

I think that's it. If you have questions, feel free to ask in the comments! I'm certainly not an expert on sewing clothing though, so don't expect too much.

35 comments:

  1. Super cute! That reminds me that there are about a dozen patterns saved to my computer that I've been meaning to try. Maybe I'll get snowed in this winter and have a sewing-fest...or I'll just drink a lot of hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachel - I love this. The fabric is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i love that fabric! when i finally face down my fear of my own sewing machine and start turning out wonders, it will be entirely thanks to you - this tutorial is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wary about making myself any sewn garments but this so makes me want to give it a go! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the pattern of that fabric! its so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be able to make my own skirt, but I am way, way too nervous. I struggle with Ikea furniture, so I'm not sure sewing is in my future. Still, you make this skirt look so cute, and I am amazed that you were able to customize...I may have to bite the bullet, face my fear, and make an attempt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. it really is cute with the purple tights - perfect for cold fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you need to sell these! that could easily be at anthropologie. you are such a domestic goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome skirt. thanks so much for posting the details. i think i could handle this even though i'm an amateur at the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i still can't believe that you made that skirt, especially since it's even more gorgeous in person!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Great choice of fabric.

    eyelovecosmetics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. sooo adorable, i especially love your fabric.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the skirt and I have stacks of fabric ready for skirt making, but I never get around to it. Also, your tights are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to use that tutorial to make a skirt forevvvvvvvver! Yours turned out super cute. Definitely bookmarking this -- I love the changes you made.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! That pattern is gorgeous. And I love the purple tights!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all the fabric love, everyone! I wish, wish, wish that I could give you more information about it, but I bought it on deep discount at my local fabric store and I know nothing other than the fabric content (silk twill, which is insanely fabulous). I also have it in purple, so another skirt or perhaps a dress may be forthcoming.

    The tights are from Old Navy, naturally. Cheap + adequately opaque. I think they still have the purple ones for sale, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I die for that fabric. And it looks so great with purple tights! Job well done, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  18. it turned out really cute - great print

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great! I'm new to sewing, by which I mean all I really do is look at sewing machines and run my hands on soft fabrics while in craft stores. This looks like a great project to start with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. kay, love the tutorial, but more importantly, WHERE DID YOU GET THE FABRIC?? and who makes it, since it's probs gone by now. Since it's been, oh, 10 months.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Darling skirt, and thank you for the instructions, too! I've been meaning to find a skirt that I can wear in the winter, and maybe some shoes or boots to wear with it. I'm still wearing my sandals... the Texas fall hasn't taken them off my feet yet! I really enjoy your blog posts and everything that you share - it's a beautiful space!
    xo,
    Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  22. great skirt! i love how easy you make it sound. haha.. I would royally mess this up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is there anything you cant make? Love this! And the purple tights are adorable with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ kristina - wish i could help you! it's from F&S, but no indication of who makes it and i picked it up almost a year ago. you could drop by and see if they still some. i didn't check last time i was there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Had a feeling. so sad. so very sad. But next time I'm there, I will be on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, how cute! Love the purple tights. I'm been meaning to try that tutorial for about half a year and still haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for reminding me to give it a go =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Rachel... Love the skirt and thanks for the tutorial. Will try to make it for my 3 years old. Will be trying out the carrot cake as well.
    I know you live in LA but what's the name of that local fabric store.

    I live near a fabric store called "M&L" but they don't have silk fabric. I want to check out your local store. Thanks!

    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  28. nevermind I just saw your previous post

    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  29. ummm... this is ADORABLE. how i wish sewing didn't give me so much anxiety. :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this! I love everything that you changed! I just cant seem to find a good fabric like that! I will try harder. Thanks for all the hints and tips! I cant wait to make my!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I made that skirt too using the tutorial! Your's turned out super well. Love the print

    ReplyDelete
  32. I too love the skirt and the fabric choice. You inspired me to give it shot- I love how it came out. You can see the results here if you are interested: http://www.dismountcreative.com/simple-skirt

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!