Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shopping hiatus, week 1

Week 1 flew by with very few temptations. We did do a bit of thrifting over the weekend, looking for very specifically sized filing cabinets (struck out) and I couldn't resist this sugar bowl and creamer set.

"new" sugar + creamer
{"new" sugar bowl and creamer}

They're English china and I love the simple design. They are thrifted, so they don't break my rules. At $7, they were also a pretty good deal.

Sadly, I was forced to buy something new. My nose stud lost its gemstone and I had to bite the bullet and order a new one. Despite the obvious fact that I can't purchase something like that used (ick), there is only one retailer who stocks appropriately subtle, thin gauge, solid gold nose studs (the only kind my nose will tolerate). Bummer.

We had a documentary viewing marathon on Sunday and many of them were relevant to the shopping hiatus.

What Would Jesus Buy? was not quite as amazing as I had hoped. I thought that it was an actual church, rather than a performance/activist protest group. It was still interesting.

Maxed Out was an excellent look at our country's increasing reliance on credit and it almost made me cry.

Surfwise was not technically about finances, but it was an amazing documentary that touched on earning money vs. living the life you want. It's about a couple who raise their nine (!) kids in a camper van and drive around the country surfing and living a really simple life. The beginning is hysterically funny and then it gets a bit sad. Highly recommend.

Not at all related to the hiatus, but awesome: we also watched Valentino: The Last Emperor. Full of lots of couture eye candy and a pack of adorable pugs.

22 comments:

  1. What a cute a set! "Used" nose stud {blech} :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. could you share the nose stud source? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to have a few new documentaries to add to my blockbuster queue! these all sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the new china! you always find the best stuff thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy the hiatus is going well! That sugar bowl and creamer are very adorable - what a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few weeks ago, I also watched Valentino: The Last Emperor. It is amazing how all the dresses were hand stitched. The head seamstress mentioned they had 1 sewing machine but never used it. Couture eye candy, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you haven't seen 'Marjoe' I highly recommend it. It's a documentary from the 70s about a kid who is a fraudulent Evangelist preacher. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes- i would love to know where you purchase your stud. i have been looking for a great small gold stud forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute creamer and sugar bowl; I wouldn't have been able to resist that either. I'm going to have to check out that Surfwise documentary, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sugar bowl and creamer. They look like they were made to match your tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've been dying to see surfwise.
    i love your thrifted purchases.

    lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I too would loved to know the source of your nose jewelry.

    Also, as someone who just registered for a $50 creamer and $50 sugar bowl yesterday... I am so jealous of your find. They are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "earning money vs. living the life you want" this has been HEAVY in my thoughts lately. for a while, and so much revolves around it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The creamer set is beautiful. I love the simple, modern pattern on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea so many people had the same issues I do finding nose studs!

    For those who asked - I shop here ... http://www.bodycandy.com/

    The name of the site is a bit creepy, in my opinion, but the jewelry is perfect and holds up (helps to justify the higher cost). They ship quickly, too.

    I buy the 14K gold (yellow and white) bent nose stud with a 1.5mm or 2mm gem. But there are about a million options, nicely sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice find!
    have you seen blood sweat and t-shirts, on the bbc?

    ReplyDelete
  17. woot! keep up he good non-shopping streak.

    ReplyDelete
  18. my eyes perked up at pugs - love that adorable set

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great set. I Love pieces that are simple with a twist. These are just adorable. Good luck with the shopping hiatus!!

    Beatriz.
    thatgirlinpearls.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Surfwise, that's a great flick. Valentino is on my list of to be watched. Where do you buy your nose rings? I need a new one and I can't find anywhere around this town that sells them, I never even thought of looking online!

    http://thebusiestbee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the documentary suggestions! Have you seen Born into Brothels? It's definitely worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maxed out was a pretty good documentary as is The Corporation.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!