Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chop + snip

After all your thoughtful hair input a couple weeks ago, I decided I better take action.

I went with short-ish, but a cut that will be easy to grow out. It's just long enough that I can still pull it back. And I have bangs! Or fringe, which is what professionals seem to call it.

hair-cut
{thank you D, for taking the pictures and making me laugh}

The cut itself was really pleasant. I'm a lucky duck because they recently opened an Aveda school a few blocks away from my office. If you are willing to sign a slightly scary waiver and let a student cut your hair, it's only $19 and tipping is optional (I did tip, because they donate the tips to charity, which is sweet). You get a relaxation treatment (mini shoulder massage), hair shampoo, cut, and style and a "facial" (they call it a facial, I call it washing your face, but it was still nice).

The students are new, but there is an instructor who supervises and steps in, so you have some reassurance. I admit I'm glad I don't get my hair colored, because the girl next to me looked a little terrified when her stylist applied goop to her head and then asked "wait, was that bleach? because I wasn't supposed to use bleach." It wasn't, and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

I even went ahead and bought the Volumizing Tonic they used on my hair, because I've heard good things about Aveda products and it came in a brown glass bottle that I loved. They give you a discount, so it was $10 instead of $15. All told, I was out $35, which is less than what I would have paid in a salon before you even factor in the tip.

Bottom line: If you're nervous about your hair, or you tend to cry if your stylist accidentally cuts off an inch more than you wanted, you might not want to risk it. If you are okay with the fact that hair grows out and you love a good deal, go for it.

43 comments:

  1. Yea, cute haircut! And what a deal! We've got something similar for a ritzy salon, but it's not Aveda -- man, discounts on products even? Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Your hair looks AWESOME! good choice. love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bangs/fringe and now I want to cut my hair short for summer. It looks amazing!

    p.s. you're pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're so pretty.
    love the cut and your fabulous smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, the cut is adorable and you still can wear your great headbands. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super sassy, lady R. I had a friend in beauty school for awhile, and would go pay something like five bucks at her school for a wonderful new 'do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks lovely! So thick and glossy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my God, you are cute as a button. SASSATRON!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i absolutely love it...erinn

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have a school down town Minneapolis where I went to school my first two years! We would treat ourselves in the spring to discounted hair cuts and massages! Gosh, I wish they had one here in Madison :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it. it's quite impressive that your hair looks just as great long as it does when it's short.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So brave you are... to go to a school! And brave to cut it off, but it obviously paid off - it's adorable. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! I cut bangs too so I'll have to post pics.

    I love it with the headband.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so would have done that - and the cut is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choice for a hair cut!! It's look seriously amazing and I LOVE the bangs!

    I haven't been to an Aveda salon, but I'd do it any day. I'm pretty easy going when it comes to my hair and of course I love saving money (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, so funny! I have used the Aveda schools since college and just got my hair trimmed there last Friday. I agree, it's not a place for someone who is super finiky about their hair, but the price is certainly right.

    And I didn't know the tips went to charity- that's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks awesome...you will love the tonic, I own an Aveda Spa and that is one of my fav products that we carry.....I sell it to everyone!!
    Good for you for having the courage to change.....many don't!!!!

    m :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh so adorable!! it looks fabulous.
    and AVEDA. i am so jealous.
    salon schools are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look gorgeous! I particularly love it back, but maybe just because we get to see that big smile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look stunning. What a fabulous haircut for spring/summer. And it shows off your neck, which boyfriends/husbands/partners totally dig.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so adorable!! The bang is awesome!

    I used to get my hair done for proms/dances at a beauty school, and you couldn't beat the price... it was like $9 or something crazy.

    I have my hair cut at Aveda and it is $49 with a tip. You're lucky to have that school nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  22. cute, cute, cute! i love it. you look great & what great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your hair looks great! Healthy and stylish. You got a good cut and product and you didn't break the bank-which can so often happen.
    Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO CUTE! I love it. What a perfect haircut for you! And I am super jealous about the Aveda school - I lust for Aveda products, they all smell and feel so good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. just when i thought you couldn't get any cuter, you went ahead and did it! ya look sassy~

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it! Now I want my hair short again. Even go back to a "fringe." Why was this uncool when I actually had it? :)
    I used to go to the Aveda school when I lived in Cincy. It was always a great experience, everything you listed plus the yummy mint tea! Anything else you want done - eyebrows, makeup - are super affordable too!
    And, I found that the students tended to be more timid when cutting so no scary hack jobs there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. very cute! i bet that was a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, you look beautiful! I absolutely love it Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute!

    So that turned out to be a really good deal then.

    Did you bring a picture to show them what you wanted? Or did you explain? I find it always so difficult to explain to a hairdresser what I want.....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Rachel
    Your hair is looking good - including the fringe! That's what we call them here in Australia, never bangs.
    Love your tins with the blackboard paint - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. love it! You are quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  32. you are adorable....love your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks great. I just got a magazine subscription - £12 for 12 issues, and I got three free Aveda products - including that tonic. That was a good deal too - and it's a magazine I like!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your hair! So cute and versatile. Thanks for sharing the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. nice haircut! it's nice to be able to put so much trust in the hands of todays hairstylists, even when they are students :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. It looks great, I love your bangs

    ReplyDelete
  37. you look stunning. the cut is perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!