Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good luck at Goodwill

You already know that I frequently haunt thrift stores looking for sheets for my sewing projects. Which I realize sounds a little gross, but it isn't. Okay, I did find it icky at first. But I've learned which stores thoroughly wash and then hang their sheets, which makes the experience much more pleasant.

I scored last week.

thrifted fabrics
{you'll be seeing these fabrics in various forms for a few months}

That one in the front is a great print that reminds of tiki style things. And you can see a hint of the pink stripey one I found. I also got some plain jane white and yellow ones that are really good cotton and will be lovely to work with.

And for the first time in years, I wandered into the clothing section, lured in by this sweet little corduroy jacket. It is so well made and it has tiny puffs at the sleeves and cuffs. I love it. And then I found a dress, which I remember seeing at Urban a while back.

thrifted-things
{the jacket + a little pleated dress}

It quickly devolved into a two hour Goodwill rampage, and I walked out $60 poorer but in possession of both the jacket and the dress, along with two fabulous tunic tops, an Italian spring weight wool coat (currently at the dry cleaners), and my 5 sets of sheets, all crammed into a giant trash bag.

The only sad part is that I then had to make the one mile (slightly uphill) walk home cradling said giant trash bag, and my arms ached for two days. Ouch.

25 comments:

  1. I would love to go thrifting with you! You do have the eye. Very cute jacket! I need to check out G.W. more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the new fabric/sheet!! can't wait to see what you'll make from it :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i love the idea of you walking around town with a massive trash bag. i would have kept whipping things out to prove to people that i had cute clothes inside and not every single of my belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the cutest! And the lengths you go for a fabulous deal :) I can't wait to see what you do with your sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds like a really great score! i love the colour of the dress..

    ReplyDelete
  6. ouch indeed - and - that dress over a cute pair of jeans will be totally rad

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great good will story & it looks like the schlepping was at least worth it! Love that dress- the color is so pretty for spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow... What great finds! Love that kind of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a haul for $60! Clearly the not shopping was, in part, an ascetic exercise to make you a more competitive shopper. Sounds like you could even take on Mouse's mom, which is saying something.

    Love the dress especially!

    What do you do with all the sheets??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, you apparently have a nicer Goodwill than I do! I never find cute dresses (that don't need serious modifications!). Can't wait to to see what you'll do with those sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a firm believer in Goodwill. Especially the Newport Beach Goodwill. My sis found her GORGEOUS Reem Acra wedding dress, worth 5000.00 (tags still on the dress) for 90.00. Nuff said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DAAAANG! Nice finds, maybe I should hit the thrift store?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great finds! Sometimes its like striking gold at these second hand shops. You have inspired me to take a trip to my local Value Village :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. hip, hip, hooray!!

    1. hooray for your scores
    2. hooray for buying second-hand
    3. hooray for walking

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gotta love Goodwill! I always donate all my old clothes when I'm done with 'em, too, so I figure it's clothing karma whenever I find something cool hiding in the racks, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think your new dress is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great finds - I gotta get myself over to the Goodwill!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are great finds... I am now going to look in your DIY section. It is my birthday soon and I really want to get a sewing machine. I am searching for simple projects....
    Nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, what fabulous items you found! Love that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant! I love a good fabric bargain. It looks as if you came home with quite a stash there Rachel, I'm just wondering what you're going to make?... Talking of making, I should be posting your pay it forward gift on Friday when I get the chance to finally get to the post office, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great scores! Well worth the sore arms and walk of shame with the trash bag! I'm itching for some good thrifting fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love shopping Goodwill. Do you have a fave? Santa Monica seems to have the most upscale labels (no surprise, I guess) but we rarely make it to the west side...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what brilliant finds!! that dress is gorgeous. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a awesome blog you have here. I am now kicking myself in the butt for not buying the cute sheet at goodwill that I saw yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!