Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Purchasing ...

Kristina mentioned that she's been living in the Threads for Thought tanks (um, for nursing, but they AREN'T nursing tanks and normal people can wear them). I am always on the lookout for shirts that will fit my oddly long torso and Kristina promised they would. Double bonus points because Whole Foods carries them. If I can avoid going to an actual clothing store, I almost always will.

tft tanks
{tanks, image from threads for thought and yes, i'm using the exact same image kristina did, but only because the photos of the models wearing the shirts are so unflattering and i didn't want to scare you off}

I bought a couple of the tanks and also the v-neck tees and I'm sold. Sadly, my WF is being really lax about re-stocking, so I finally went online* and placed a big order. They are the most perfect gym tops, super long and very soft, but also decent enough that you could actually wear them out in public with jeans.

Sizing wise, these aren't meant to be skin tight, but they're nicely cut. I've tried small, medium and large in both styles and settled on a medium. For reference, I'm 5'6 and a wee bit (okay, approximately 20 lbs) away from being the skinny minnie I was in college (um, possibly making some progress on this front, which I may or may not share at some point - weight stuff is tricky) - I would call myself comfortably average at the moment, when I'm not being overly self critical.

* Please be forewarned - their website kind of sucks. It somehow managed to empty my shopping cart the first time I tried to check out and then made me go through what seemed like a lot of pages in order to actually get checked out. If I didn't already know how good the shirts feel in person, I might not have persevered. And the pictures do not do the shirts justice, at all. I almost bailed on the whole idea when I saw the picture of the model in the tank top. But they're so much better in real life.

12 comments:

  1. wow! first, i didn't know that there were tanktops for nurses! and second, I didn't know that whole foods sold clothes! now, we can kill two birds with one stone! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, good to know! i have an oddly long torso as well (to the point where people come sit at my desk at work and say, "dude, why is your chair so low?"), and a tank top which addresses it properly is a thing of beauty. i'm a big believer in american apparel's rib u-neck tank (speaking of questionable pics, ignore that one!) - it's nice and sturdy, clingy but not sausage-y, and cut in such a way that it's perfect for layering (good neckline, nice length). at $22 they're not a steal like yours, but i live in them all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw these at my Whole Foods this week, but I've been purchasing a variety of the Threads for Thought shirts at TJ Max for months at a cheaper price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh thanks! I live in tanks and these look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh cannot WAIT to check out my whole foods. i never can find tank tops that are just long/soft/thin enough and these sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look so comfy and im looking for more v neck tshirts because i basically live in them, can't wait to go home next weekend and see if my wholefoods has them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love plain tanks... ill have to check these out! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOTALLY. The model pics are very scary. Exactly why I didn't use them either. WF Venice has them in stock all the time, for those in LA.

    So glad they're perfect for you too, Rachel! For $8, you can't really beat them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ lauren - yes on the work chair thing! no one else can sit in my chair because it's practically on the floor. i will definitely keep the AA tank in mind as well - good to have options. and when i saw the TfT website my first thought was "why do they have to take model pictures that are as unflattering as AAs?"

    @ cheryl.andrey - good to know! i'm usually too impatient to hunt through tjmaxx, but every once in a while i get motivated. i'll keep in mind that they sometimes have this brand.

    @ lovelymorning (kristina) - i even thought about that, because i know the venice one is probably where you got yours. is it terribly lazy of me to admit that i decided to place an online order rather than venture a few miles south?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've heard of them from kristina too - now i just need a whole foods

    ReplyDelete
  11. @rachel, um no. That would be like me driving to Brentwood. Which clearly I avoid at all costs since it's not within the maximum 2 mile radius of my house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea Whole Foods sold clothing! These sound perfect, my torso is long too so I really want to try these out. So hard to find good tank tops that aren't skintight or overly flowy. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!