Friday, August 16, 2013

Over the counter

Part of having a budget is that it's harder to indulge in my usual makeup. I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I'm almost never barefaced either. Lately I've been exploring a few lower price point options and avoiding Sephora like the plague because I can't go in there without dropping a quarter of my monthly allowance.

Currently loving ...

recent faves
{recent faves}

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream: I stumbled on this one on accident, looking for something else. Very moisturizing (I have very dry skin), has SPF. It provides pretty light coverage but sort of evens things out. Feels just like a moisturizer and takes the place of one.

L'Oreal Voluminous Power Volume 24 Hour Mascara: I like my mascara intense and this one is. The reviews are mixed and some people have trouble with smearing (maybe in humid climates?). I haven't had any trouble with it except for a few times when I went kickboxing after work and sweat like a crazy person. I'm not sure anything would have held up to that. This mascara was clumpy straight out of the tube, which I find to be an issue in general. For the first several days I wipe the mascara wand anytime I get new mascara. Miss B, my mascara partner in crime and my most trusted source of beauty recommendations, originally introduced me to the L'Oreal Voluminous line a few years ago and I haven't paid $30 for mascara since.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain, in Sweetheart: I bought this because I liked the idea of a giant lip crayon and I almost returned it within 10 minutes of buying it. I put it on and it looked hot pink, like the 80's had been resurrected on my face. Try as I might, I've never been able to get that color to work for me. Turns out I was applying it a bit too heavily. Now I outline my lips with it and then smudge it inwards and I love it. If you want bright color, apply it all over your lips. I don't find it to be moisturizing, but it doesn't dry my lips out either. The lasting power is decent. I reapply a couple of times a day. I'm tempted to get a few more colors but I'm not saving any money if I buy three $10 products instead of one $30 one, right?

What drives me nuts about drugstore make up is the uncertainty. They usually don't have testers so you're going on blind faith. I'm now careful about only buying from CVS when I want to try something because they have a great return policy (I think other drugstores are similar but I haven't checked). Do not buy from Target if you aren't sure you want to keep it!

I also have the e.l.f. HD blush on order (thanks for the rec, P!) because I couldn't find it in stores. Super excited to see how it works, given the rave reviews.

22 comments:

  1. I love the Revlon lip stain. I always add a slick of actual lipbalm over the top too. After buying another colour which was far too light, iv started using it as a blusher, perfect. So your really getting a double product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try the BB Cream. My favorite is Too Faced but I hate paying the hefty price tag for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That BB cream is a favorite of mine as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you. My budget has dictated that I replace some of my Nars favorites (bronzer, blush) with E.l.f. and they really have not been too bad, particularly for the price point. Not to mention they have a similar black container so I can kinda pretend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore make up! But ack.

    ps. Thank you for explaining the BB cream. I seem to be the only girl who didn't know what it was but was too proud to ask. *blush*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I still don't totally understand the craziness over it (or why it's called BB cream?). It seems to me like a nice tinted moisturizer. I think it's also supposed to be a primer-foundation-moisturizer-sunscreen combo. I just know that it feels much nicer than any tinted moisturizer I've tried!

      Delete
  6. Do you have an Ulta nearby? They sell drugstore makeup but you can try before you buy, like at Sephora. They have all the inexpensive makeup brands -- Revlon, Covergirl, Maybelline, etc. -- plus hair products, perfumes and some pricier items. Not sure about their return policy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed one of your links is to the Ulta site, so I'm sure this isn't news to you. :)

      Delete
    2. But I've never been to one! I know there is one not too far away but it's in a totally inconvenient spot (i.e. - I see it every time I'm flying by on the freeway, but there's no reason I would ever get OFF the freeway there). I might have to seek one out!

      Delete
    3. I pretty much shop at Ulta exclusively because of the mix of expensive and drugstore products. Some of the drugstore products have testers, some don't. But you can return ANYTHING--opened or not--for any reason. And you don't have to have your receipt, either. If you sign up for the club/discount card, they can search your purchases for a receipt. AND, they always send coupons in the mail and offer free gifts based on the amount of money you spend over a certain period of time. Full-sized products, too, not the samples like Sephora gives you.
      Definitely worth the trip!

      Delete
    4. You guys have convinced me! I guess my only issue is that I won't need any new makeup for a while. Maybe by the time I'm running low they'll have opened one closer!

      Delete
    5. Rachel - there's an Ulta on Santa Monica/La Brea, by the Target. :)

      Delete
    6. Oh, you're right! I remember seeing that one. I try to avoid that shopping center at all costs (is it just me that has trouble with that parking lot?) but the Ulta might be enough to pull me in.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for addressing two products that have been contemplating recently -- a BB cream and a lip stain. I've never used BB creams, and I figured pricier options were the only way to go. But I would feel better about starting out with a cheaper option. Also, I love the application of the giant lip crayon, but I haven't had success with the stain itself. I currently have a Tarte matte lip stain, and I love the color and infusion of peppermint, but it is so drying on my lips. It sucks the moisture out, and then it dries and feathers/flakes, even after an application of balm on top. Would love other lip stain recommendations since I love the theoretical non-fussiness. Will definitely test the Revlon; I don't mind if it's not moisturizing, as long as it isn't drying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a serious chapstick addiction and I feel like using the Revlon stain is actually helping with that? But that might just be because I'm less likely to apply chapstick non-stop when I know it means I'll have to go back to a mirror and reapply the lip stain. I still apply a few times a day, over the lip stain.

      So far I haven't found the Revlon stain drying. My lips do feel a little different but I think that's because I'm not putting chapstick on a million times a day (it was more habit than actual need, I think). They definitely don't feel chapped. Also, they get moisturized pretty well at night because I've been using rosehip oil as a face moisturizer and it inevitably ends up on my lips as well and I think it's been good for them.

      Typing all this out just made me apply chapstick. I think it was psychosomatic though. : )

      Delete
  8. Oh, you KNOW I love a good beauty post! I did not know the Maybelline was good for dry skin, I am dying that I am not walking distance right now to the drugstore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I could talk about beauty products forever! I use a combination of cheap and expensive make up but lots of my favourites are actually the cheaper things. I'm obsessed with the Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB cream and I'm loving that Revlon stain at the moment too. Have you heard of Sali Hughes? She's my favourite beauty writer. She writes a column for the Guardian. As she's English, some of the brands differ but she's always careful to recommend products at different price points. I adore her and trust her recommendations! Zoe Foster's website Fruity Beauty is also great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful reviews, thank you! i love covergirl lip perfection lipstick!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun reviews! My fav drugstore BB cream is the Revlon one -- slightly more coverage but less moisturizing. I also love the Maybelline color tattoo eye shadows. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooohhh...fun. Have you tried Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze? Idiot-proof, looks great, and doesn't budge. Also: Wet 'n' Wild eyeshadow trio "Walking on Eggshells" which is buttery and beautiful and about $3.00. AND: Rimmel's ScandalEyes eyeliner (skinny pencil, not the fat pencil) in the nude color, which is amazing on the waterline when you're feeling less rested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified of eyeliner, but I might have to try it. I generally skip all eye makeup except bucketloads of mascara. I guess I could look into changing that?

      Delete
  13. I love mascara too! My favorite is the Physicians Formula Organic Wear. Great volume, long lasting ... and organic! Plus they don't test on animals which is always nice and CVS frequently has sales on this brand. Definitely want to try that Elf blush now
    x

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!