Monday, December 15, 2008

Holiday traditions make me happy

Back in high school, my girlfriends and I started an annual holiday party. It's always potluck, with a gift exchange and a craft activity (with the exception of one super lazy year while we were all in college when we just ordered pizza and watched Crocodile Hunter).

I am incredibly proud to announce that this Saturday we had our 10th annual party! We kind of rock. Despite all attending different colleges and now being spread out in different cities, we've managed to keep it together.

Here was my gift for the exchange - a toolbelt apron (tutorial to follow in the near future) stamped with one of my linocuts and some of the meal planning/grocery shopping notepads I've been making. (This trio of hand creams was part of the gift I got for the gift exchange and I've been LOVING it).

DSC_1124

Here is the apron in action. You knew I was going to pose in it before I gave it away.

DSC_1122

For the craft this year, Kris taught us to make pomanders. Mine is now proudly hanging over my dining room table.

DSC_1152

I totally phoned it in this year and purchased desserts from TJs so I have no fun recipes to share today. When you see tomorrow's post, you'll know why I was too busy to be whipping out homemade pies.

21 comments:

  1. you girls are fabulous!!! Wish I belonged in your circle cos your apron-making skills are mad! :) how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that apron is simply precious and i love your linocuts you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that apron is lovely! I will happily be awaiting the tutorial :)
    What a fun tradition to enjoy with friends-that's amazing that you've kept it going for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Your apron is great, the spatula and whisk linocut you made is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so great to see you and have fun with the other girls this weekend! I agree with Kris that you need to start your own craft business because that apron and the notepads were so cute and creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so mad that Stacie stole the apron and notepads from me! Your pomander turned out gorgeous. I think it was the best party yet. We're now talking about making a springtime tea party tradition, where big flowery hats are a must. Are you game?

    ReplyDelete
  7. you totally rock in my book! forming friendships and then making them part of a holiday tradition are something to be very proud up!
    I love aprons and your handy apron rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that apron and your pomander! How clever you girls are :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever seen a *real* pomander. Blows the crappy paper ones out of the water... Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 10th annual? That's AMAZING! Congrats to you guys for keeping it together that long.

    Can't wait for the apron tutorial, and are those YOUR red shoes and black lace in the pomander photo?

    Thanks for stopping by today! I love the gifts in shoes tradition too---I know it's for sure done in Germany (where supposed Saint Nick leaves the gifts), and I think also in Scandinavian countries like Sweden too. In those latter places I think it happens on the 13th of December, which is called 'Santa Lucia Day' there. And pathetically, I know this from playing with my historical American Girl doll year after year...

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an awesome tradition...i'm suck a sucker for holiday traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's so great to stay together for 10 years....happy for your group!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sassy little apron! And a lovely tradition too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This so nice no matter how busy everyones schedule is all the girls get together!!

    Dear Santa- For Christmas, I want one of Rachel's tool aprons! Are you taking orders!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really hope you get an apron like this for yourself... too sweet...looking forward to the photos my dear...xo t

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like so much fun and such a great idea at this time of year. Your apron is fantastic! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in awe.
    That apron...
    I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing group of friends. I'm so jealous. Love the apron.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to make one! Also, how did you "make" the notepads? I love your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are insanely creative. so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't decide whether I'm insanely jealous, or whether I'm just happy these things exist in the universe. Ok, I've decided: I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!