Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pasta, by hand

D and I are on a pasta making kick. It's the antithesis of the meals we would have when he was in grad school and I would run home and pop something in the oven and then we would eat and catch up for 15 minutes and then he would run back to the studio for the rest of the night. Pasta takes time and commitment and it's nice to have someone to keep you company while you roll it out. Especially if they'll take a turn with the rolling pin.

pasta dough

My pasta recipe is from The Silver Spoon, which apparently is The Joy of Cooking of Italy. I'm certainly not an expert, but this is the sort of skill I consider worth perfecting. You need about one egg per cup of flour. I use semolina flour, and it absorbs a lot more liquid than all purpose flour. We spend about two hours in the kitchen, total. We're getting a good rhythm going, where D gets the sauce started while I start the dough and then we work on shaping the pasta together. It's a nice, slow afternoon.

filling ravioli

Basic pasta dough (serves 4)
1 3/4 cups flour (preferably type 00) plus extra for dusting
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt, to taste (at least a teaspoon, in my experience)

:: Whisk together the flour and the salt. Stir the eggs in and then knead for about 10 minutes. If the mixture is too dry, add a bit of water (I usually have to). If it's too wet, add some more flour.

:: Shape the dough into a ball and let it rest for about 15 minutes.

:: Roll out on a lightly floured surface or use a pasta machine. (I do this in four parts, because it's easier to work with a smaller amount of dough at one time. It takes a lot of upper arm work to really get it thin, and it does make me long for a pasta machine sometimes.)

:: Cook in boiling, salted water. Cooking time will depend on the pasta shape you choose. For our ravioli, we filled them with a bit of ricotta and basil and then boiled them in small batches for about 12 minutes.

I'm still looking to master the technique. Any genius pasta makers out there that have tips to share?

21 comments:

  1. Such dedication! And how nice that he will help you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, nothing beats a meal of freshly made pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. any cookbook that's a staple in italy has got to have a fabulous pasta recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is my kind of afternoon - slow, yet meaningful. i think i'll have to test out the homemade pasta afternoon sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks marvelous! you led me in the right direction with no-knead bread a few weeks ago (first time i'd ever made bread from scratch, and i've made it two more times since - that crust really is killer!), so i might have to take another cue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't think something that would be more wonderful that doing this with a sweetheart on a lazy sunday afternoon. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. My KitchenAid kneads the dough for me, and my sweet 70's "Pasta Queen" hand-crank pasta maker rolls it out thin and even (there's even a linguini attachment). Definitely less work than a rolling pin, but still fun to do with a partner and a glass of wine ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh that looks so yummy!!! I would LOVE to make soem homemade pasta some day soon! You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband is a year and a half into his MArch program, and I'm looking forward to exactly these sorts of activities when he's done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to try this! And I feel your upper arm pain! I recently did cheesecake with no electric beater. It was tiring!

    xoxo

    www.iplayinla.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I'm impressed! I'd love to attempt this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. have never attempted homemade pasta... but definitely saving this one for a rainy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Usually I'm the pro in the kitchen, but believe it or not, my husband is a master at making pasta! he's got the dough down to an art form--it always turns out perfectly elastic and smooth! i have no idea how he does it...'just a feeling' he says!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you, I'm inspired, I get excited when don't just use sauce from a jar and I take the time to add meat/veggies to my pre-bought sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks lovely. now, just have to wait for grad school to hurry up and get finished. oh, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you mean there is actually a time in life when you and your other are both home for an real amount of time together- enough time to cook and relax??? i look forward to that, and that pasta sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing! I posted about your post and photo on my site. I'm ready to try making my own ravioli!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've only tried pasta making once rachel and it was a 'semi' success, (not sure I rolled it as thin as it should have been!) but tasty all the same. Your post has reminded me that I have pasta flour sitting in my store cupboard and that maybe I should try again! :) Your's looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooh, you've got me thinking again now. I've been wondering about buying a pasta rolling machine. We eat quite a bit of pasta and it would be so much better handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Get the attachment for the kitchenaid, seriously the best invention ever. It makes the process so much quicker!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!