Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blackberry tart with vanilla ice cream

Nothing says summer to me like berries. We were having family friends over for the 4th and they were bringing ingredients for homemade ice cream. Naturally, I began dreaming of berry tarts, but all the recipes I found had some sort of pastry cream layer. Pastry cream + ice cream just did not sound good to me. So I winged it.

blackberry tart
{simple berry tart + heirloom napkin}
Simple berry tart
One ten inch tart crust, unbaked, frozen (Deb's recipe is my go to)
2 bags of frozen blackberries (10 oz. each, I think)
1/4 cup sugar (approximately)
1 tablespoon cornstarch

*Toss the blackberries with the sugar and cornstarch. Pile in the frozen crust. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 and continue baking for about 45 minutes, until the crust is browned and the berries are bubbly. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before eating, to give it a chance to firm up.
Warning - this bubbles over like crazy. Make sure you have a baking sheet to catch the juice or you'll spend the next day scrubbing your oven.

This tart is genuinely tart, because the sugar content is pretty low. It pairs perfectly with homemade ice cream, which is intensely creamy but only mildly sweet.
Simple vanilla ice cream (makes about 6 servings)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup half and half
1 tsp vanilla

*Whisk together the whipping cream and sugar until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the half and half and the vanilla extract. Freeze according to the instructions on your ice cream maker.
The ice cream isn't pictured because it is too good. I couldn't just stand around photographing it and letting it melt into oblivion. Home made ice cream melts very quickly because it doesn't have any of those weird stabilizers. You'll just have to imagine it.

19 comments:

  1. looks delicious! I made home made ice cream for the first time over the weekend. I think I am in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like a heavenly combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmm looks delicious AND beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soo yummy! I love a good recipe for berry tart! Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. soooooooooooooooooooooo yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another reason why I need an ice cream maker before the summer is out. Sounds soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For all those who are now looking for an ice cream freezer, the REAL kind that brings family and friends together to crank and chat by turns (as opposed to the electric ones which do all the fun for you), check out the Lehman's Catalogue (www.Lehmans.com). Our family has the 10-qt size because we LOVE ice cream and sharing the fun of it with friends. Lest you be surprised by the prices, remember: You get what you pay for. And their freezers work like a charm and are built to last a lifetime (or to pass on, if well cared for.)
    Oh, and if you're really blessed, you'll raise a daughter who comes home and bakes the best-ever berry tarts to eat with your homemade ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom, you almost fooled me. I thought you were an advertiser for Lehman's at first but your last sentence gave you away! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or maybe it was Dave? I know it was one of you two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lehmen's is wonderful. I pore over that catalogue like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! OMGoodness! Yes it does.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree berries are the true sign of summer. This look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really didn't believe you that a berry tart that looks THAT good could possibly be simple - but this sounds like a recipe that even I could make! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel, You were right the first time. I only posted as "Anonymous" because I haven't a clue how to 'Select profile'. But I stand by all my words, especially the last sentence. Love you bunches! Your Anonymom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm this looks delicious! i totally agree that nothing says summer more than berries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous looking tart! These are definitely my go-to dessert during the summer, as they're so easy to make. I made a lemon one last week and I think I'm going to have to give your blackberry version a try next, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this for my engagement party. It is sooo good! I used a bit more sugar and cornstarch, so it was fine without ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!