Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pudding (and thanks)

Thank you all so much for the support this week - your comments and emails have meant so much.

Pudding is my comfort food. Luckily, the Japanese market stocks a good selection. I couldn't choose between two extremes so I gave up and got both for a pudding-off. Mango pudding with sour cream topping vs. classic vanilla.

puddings, two options
{puddings, two options}

The mango was good, but the vanilla killed it. Ridiculously rich and smooth with a tiny bit of burnt sugar on the bottom. I'm studying the ingredients list on the label to figure out if I can re-create it at home. I think the secret is a whole lot of heavy cream and not too much sugar.

These are both from MamMoth Bakery in Gardena and Marukai stocks them around LA.

11 comments:

  1. Nothing better than pudding. If there is chocolate around though no other flavor exists!

    Memoirs & Mochas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, with the words mango pudding I'm reminded of Smitten Kitchen's awesome arborio rice pudding and then after that, a really interesting recipe for mango risotto (you actually sweet-pickle the mango overnight, it's really delicious and surprising dish! --and I know the website looks a bit dicey, but it's good!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think pudding is totally underated. I love adding it to angel food cake with some fresh fruit. My favorite summer dessert is angel food cake, chocolate pudding, strawberries, and Cool Whip. Pretty healthy but incredibly decadent and tasty!

    <3 Lisandra
    http://unthinkably-good.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh these look so yummy! The extent of my pudding knowledge is basically chocolate and vanilla, so this would be a nice change!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would so go for vanilla.


    just went back and read Dave's story across 5 posts. i just can't imagine living somewhere where we had to pay such medical bills and had no help. uk health care sucks in many ways, but it's available to everyone. when my MIL couldn't take care of her own MIL,she went into fulltime care, 'free'.
    i wish i were there to lobby for free healthcare for people like your Dave.

    sorry, not very helpful... just rambling. hugs to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygosh! I forgot my love of that mango pudding until this post. I used to eat that as a kid. I'm definitely intrigued by the vanilla pudding now too...Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posts like these slay me, because I'm nowhere near good pudding. I'll just have to learn how to make it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Este pisos de Mensajes soy muy buenos, gracias por el Contenido
    Saludos desde Argentina Aplicaciones para pc

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what that is but it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!