Thursday, April 21, 2011

Homemade peeps

I love Peeps, but few people in my family agree with me. I understand that they are completely artificial and get stale very quickly. I still love them. Last year, in an attempt to sway people, I made my own. At the very least, politeness would force them to say they enjoyed them.

beaters, dripping
{beaters, dripping}

I used my usual go to marshmallow recipe and attempted to pipe them into shapes. I don't recommend this. Getting that marshmallow goo in a pastry bag is hard and it made my complete failure even more teeth gnashingly bad.

attempt 1
{attempt 1 - this was supposed to be a chick}

The method I finally settled on is less three dimensional, but much easier to achieve. I just spread the marshmallows in a large pan as usual, let them set and then used cookie cutters dusted with powdered sugar to cut out shapes. Once you have a big pile of shapes, get a small bowl of water and a couple bowls of colored sugar (I make my own). Dip each marshmallow in water briefly and then roll in the colored sugar and set aside to dry.

homemade peeps
{homemade peeps}

They are pretty adorable, and exponentially more delicious than the original. Also good in hot chocolate if Easter evening ends up being chilly.


21 comments:

  1. This is so clever Rachel! I'm always thinking of legitimate excuses to make marshmallows so thank you for providing me with another one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love these! i might need to hunt down a vegetarian marshmallow recipe and give them a spin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable. For the future, Alton Brown's Marshmallow recipe is much more pipe-able for a peep shape. You can even do them with your hand mixer, it will just take a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These are amazing. I love peeps, but I am going to try this homemade recipe instead on Saturday! Have a good Easter:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good idea. Thanks for sharing! I am going to attempt these this weekend!

    -Emmy

    www.sprinklesoneverything.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. too cute! you sure are ambitious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. adorable. great idea about cookie cutters. i may just have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, my mom would freak out! peeps are her weakness, she always stocks up during easter so they will last her all year. i'm dying to try yours. will you save me one ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew it. You ARE the Easter bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is awesome! my husband LOOVEEES peepsm and of course, everyone in my family thinks he's gross. haha. I'll have to try this out! what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm beyond impressed here. So impressed that I don't even know what to say. You make your own Peeps! I love it. I actually don't love Peeps, but until reading this, I thought my little sister was the only person on Earth who enjoyed them. I have to send her this post asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah-mazing....i love peeps- adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! I love the peep divide, you guys. You either love them or hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea. And I love Peeps. I used to play Peep Wars with my grandfather and younger brother...it basically ended up being chicken using a microwave. Put the peep in, press go, whoever lasts the longest amount of time without the Peep blowing up wins (==doesn't have to clean up the microwave). What a great game.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE Peeps! People who don't have to be at least a little crazy.
    Bridget, your story is too funny. When I was little, I tried roasting one over the fire, like you would with any marshmallow.
    The burn on my chin was minor and never scarred, but I still haven't tried microwaving Peeps, even thoughI've heard it's pretty funny to watch them expand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. delurking, (after a year + of reading), to say I love peeps- haven't had them in ages but always have been one of my favorite Easter candies, that along with those chocolate covered marshmallow eggs:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is soo incredible. you are amazing for having come up with this..i am definitely going to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this is so cute, and I bet so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Peeps I might actually eat! These are infinitely more adorable than the creepy looking store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How creative! I think I would eat Peeps if they were homemade :)

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!