Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer pizza

I love pizza of all kinds and I'm almost positive I could eat it for every meal. During the summer I like to keep them pretty simple.

This one is my favorite right now.

tomato pizza
{tomato, basil and feta}

Followed closely by this one.

potato, squash, pizza
{potato, squash and chevre}

No sauce here, although normally I am a double sauce, half cheese person. Super thin, almost cracker like crust is the perfect complement to summer vegetables.
Basic pizza dough recipe (enough for two super thin crusts or one thick one)
2 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
3/4 cup lukewarm water
Pinch of sugar
2 1/4 cups flour (you can use all white, all whole wheat, or a mix)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

:Proof the yeast - stir it into lukewarm water with a tiny touch of sugar added. It should get foamy after 10 minutes. If not, toss it and start over.

:Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Pour in the proofed yeast mixture and the olive oil. Knead for about 10 minutes.

:Cover with a damp towel or saran wrap and allow it to rise in a warm place at least 45 minutes or until you are ready to use it. If you suddenly realize you aren't going to make the pizza immediately, go ahead and stick it in the fridge. It will keep just fine for a few days, all you have to do is pull it out a few hours before you want to use it so it can warm up again.

:Divide the dough into two balls and roll them out, one at a time, until they are very thin. This doesn't take talent, just patience and a good rolling pin. Place each crust on a baking sheet and top them to your heart's content.

Tomato, basil and feta pizza
4 or 5 small summer tomatoes (tomatoes must be excellent!)
Olive oil, for brushing
Basil, as much as you like, chopped
Feta, or any other sharp cheese

:Brush the crust lightly with olive oil. Scatter the basil around. Arrange the tomatoes on top. Toss a bit of cheese over it. Bake at 500F for about 10 minutes, or until the crust is crispy.

Potato, squash and chevre pizza with rosemary and sage
1/2 cup chevre (soft goat cheese)
Rosemary, chopped (one small sprig)
Sage, chopped (a few leaves)
1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
3 small red potatoes, thinly sliced

:In a small bowl, mix together the chevre and chopped herbs. Add salt and pepper as desired.

:Spread the cheese mixture over the crust. Layer first the squash and then the potatoes on top. Bake at 500F about 15 minutes or until crust is crisp and potatoes are tender.
I love that you can basically do whatever you want with pizza because it's a blank slate.

25 comments:

  1. i love these photos! been a pizza-making machine this summer...such a happy way to host summer veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm i'm with ya on pizza...i would have no problem having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i had more time to be making pizzas and eating up delightful summer produce from the farmers market...hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM I want some right now for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great! i am always in the mood for pizza.

    i'm having a make-your-own-pizza party this weekend, so i'll have try out some of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't really thought about putting potatos on pizza...since i love love potatos, this sounds like a pretty fab idea to me : ) As always..thanks for the awesome ideas Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could eat pizza for every meal and be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Pizza too! And last month I made a great summer-y pizza...with PEARS! Check it out here:
    http://chasingdavies.blogspot.com/2009/07/easy-pizza-dinner.html

    You should try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never comment but seeing as this is the fourth time I've visited your site today just to look at those pizza pics, I have to say wow! I can't wait for dinner time--this is such a great way to use all those garden veggies we've got laying around!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE pizza! The one with potato looks yummy-will try it. Super thin crust a must for me too. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those look delicious! My husband says that I would eat pizza everyday if it were up to me. He's probably right sadly....filing these recipes to use sometime! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look incredible...i need to somehow master your ability to make them that thin...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I thought I was the only one who likes extra sauce and less cheese. My friends always make fun of me for picking the cheese off the pizza and add more tomatoes and vegetables :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been meaning to try a potato pizza and this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, we always end up using Trader Joe's pizza dough. I've been encouraging Boyfriend, who is a killer pizza chef, to make his own. We'll try yours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. home made pizza dough really is such a wonderful thing :) both of your pizzas look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Summer pizzas are the best! I'm intrigued by the potato and squash one, delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Homemade pizza is one of my favorite meals. I like caramelized onions, goat cheese, potato and mushroom. These look wonderful, I'll have to try adding summer squash to it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. umm...those look like the two most amazing pizzas ever! I love potatos on my pizza and have to try your version!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I love a cracker pizza

    ReplyDelete
  21. yumm yum yum, I was already hungry, now I am extra hungry. yum yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't agree more that homemade pizza is the perfect summer meal. Any kind of toppings are fair game. I think my favourite so far is my leftover-bbq chicken pizza w/ caramelized onions, basil and sundried tomatoes. Can't wait to try your recommendations too. I have lots of squash waiting to be used!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am italian ...and of course i love pizza...the first one seems very yummy !
    Bye Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. everything looks so delicious! yum!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!