Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Flea market finds

Sunday morning we set out for the Rose Bowl flea market with a very short list - phones, clocks.

We have a land line for the first time in 3 years and we needed a fun phone to go with it. I've never adjusted to talking on the cell phone. I can't seem to get a good connection, and talking to someone I love over a bad connection makes me feel lonelier than not talking at all.

phone
{rotary phone}

We liked the soft green of this rotary phone and it actually works! It does take me about 5 minutes to dial a number in, but I'm sure I'll get faster with practice. I am going to try to clean it up a bit.

I also got a pretty little clock for my bedside table. It's beat up, but I love the numbers.

clock
{little clock}

We got another clock and another phone, just because it's so hard to stop at one. But I didn't manage to get pictures of those, so I'll have to save them for another time. All told, we came out better than we would have on Ebay, even when you factor in the admission fee and the exorbitantly priced frozen lemonades we had to buy in order to prevent heatstroke.

22 comments:

  1. love rotary. love old numbers. nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the clock! excellent find...i'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that phone-reminds me of the one my parents had. I think I would love to have an old, black rotary. Great clock too! You do have an eye for fab finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh i love the colour of that phone. it looks like it was found in a forest that just isn't deep enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm always impressed with people that go to the rose bowl with a list and actually find just what they're looking for (x2). well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss having a land line! I can never get good reception on my cell phone and you are SO right about feeling lonelier when talking to someone with a bad connection! What pretty pieces you found! I just adore flea markets!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I love the sound of dialing from a rotary phone. I think we had that same color of phone growing up. Great finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I'm jealous. The phone is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great finds. I remember talking on a phone just like that at my grandparents home when I was small.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up with that exact phone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds! I love the look of that rotary phone, but it will take some getting used to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The typography on that clock is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty phone! The plus side to land lines is a) being able to twirl and play with the cord and b) easier to hold in the crook of your neck while using both hands. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love rotary phones! This one reminds me of the one we had in our kitchen growing up, and I would carefully dial my best friend's number because if I made mistake, I would have to start all over again ;) The wee clock is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That phone is sooo cute! I've been thinking about going up there for the flea market (its a bit of a drive from the OC) but I think I'm going to have to now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How great! I used to love playing with our old rotary phone when I was a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  17. great finds. love the muted colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i almost picked up an alarm clock at an antique store a couple weeks ago until the owner said it might not work properly. :-( but i reeeally want one. i don't like the idea of all those waves from my modern digital alarm clock buzzing around my brain while i sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fab finds there Rachel, pretty cool when you actually find something you love and at a bargain price!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I have to share my phone too!

    Love the idea of some old technology in the house.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!