Friday, December 19, 2008

Not your mother's christmas ornaments

D and I do not have a traditional Christmas tree. Well, this year we don't actually have a Christmas tree at all, because we ran out of time, but that hasn't stopped me from adding to our ornament collection. As a nod to D's heritage, (but mostly just because we like it) our tree decorations are Mexican themed. Not meaning we have little glass blown tacos (although I would totally buy them, if I could find them), but we generally go for Dia de los Muertos-esque decorations. We have a great collection of little skeletons and skulls and I have some homemade ornaments using loteria cards. As a side note, I should mention that D's mom, who is Mexican, finds our Mexican themed tree completely bizarre, but kind of funny. I just don't want to mislead you into thinking that this is some kind of authentic Mexican tradition.

And now we have these guys.

DSC_1275

As I've mentioned, we kind of love lucha libre, particularly after we were lucky enough to go to a real show while we were in Mexico last summer. So these little luchador masks, which I based on actual masks and then cut out of felt and glued together, will be making it onto our tree. Whenever we end up actually getting one, that is.

9 comments:

  1. These are the coolest ornaments ever. If you end up getting a tree I would love to see it all in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly why I adore you. Have I told you lately that I love you? Has Rod Stewart? If not, please see my blog. I left you a little prezzie there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome.

    I'm still in the midst of making felt ornaments. I feel like I'll never finish...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i absolutely love the idea of a themed christmas tree, especially when it has to do with dia de los muertos. these little guys will make a perfect addition next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable ornaments and could even be kept out all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't wait to see your tree next year. I just love all mexican anything! so ofcourse I am diggin' these ornaments! cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea, a mexican-themed christmas!!!

    the masks are so much fun, and i wish you a great, colorful christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOO hilarious! I love imagining you with your felt and glue putting these together----so adorable! What great tongue in cheek decorations.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!