Friday, December 5, 2008

Chipping away

Years ago, D introduced me to the fabulousness that is lino cutting. We stocked up on huge sheets of linoleum a while back and we both dip into our stash from time to time. It's perfect for when you want to use a specific drawing over and over again on different surfaces, so we usually use our lino cuts for card making.

This season I'm planning on branching out into fabric printing, so I whipped up a couple of quick linocuts for that purpose.

DSC_1023

Here is one of the finished blocks, with a quick test print. The actual prints will look better, because I use an ink roller to get more coverage. For test prints, I simply use a stamp pad and a piece of paper. The test print shows me what adjustments need to be made to finalize and polish up the linocut before I use it on anything important.

The process is pretty simple. You pick a picture you want to carve (it has to be a reverse image, so keep that in mind) or you can draw directly on the linoleum. My drawing skills are sadly lacking, so for this one I just took a picture of our silverware, reduced it to a shadow image in Photoshop, and adjusted the size. To transfer the image, I slipped a piece of carbon paper between the print and the lino and then traced the image. The carbon paper lets your lines show through on the lino, so you have something to work with. Then you go to town with the cutting tools. We have an amazing set of Japanese cutting tools, which I can't find online, sadly, but these ones would work fine. A word of caution - it is very easy to slip and cut yourself, so work carefully. We buy unmounted lino because it is cheaper, and then D glues it to scrap pieces of wood to make it easier to print with, but you can buy premounted lino if you prefer.

16 comments:

  1. i feel like if i attempted this, i'd end up losing a finger. such a great project though, and i'm sure it will come in plenty useful during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the quirky silverware print!! i'm excited to see what you have in store for your next project. ;-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh---I remember doing this in high school art class and I shredded my thumb. But you make it look so cool that it's worth chopping off appendages! can't wait to see the final products!

    have a gorgeous weekend m'dear. we're so happy to have you back and I hope your da is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay seriously, from a printmaker to you: That rocks! I want a print. I LOVE that, such a perfect subject too for a food lover. Way cool. Keep doing the lino-cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there anything you can't do?? Just gorgeous. You are my hero. Someone give this woman a TV show or a book deal STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...something I have always wanted to try...this looks awesome! xo t

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the silverware for the print!! You just brought memories back, I did some linocut pieces waaaay back when I was in HS!! I actually enjoyed the chipping away and the little pieces flying all over. I never used a roller with it- I can't wait to see the final print on the material.
    I purchased a linocut/stamp/screening book a few months back. If I could I would be in my basement doing all of my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See my blog: I would love to see your Practical Christmas Wish List! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these prints you're doing! The silverware is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting some cute prints for our dining area and kitchen...something "foody" haha. I LOVE LOVE this lino and the one you turned into the apron!! Do you think I could turn them into wall prints (on a larger scale???)I just love the simple black and white, your lino skills are fantastic! : )
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am so excited to try this! i ran out today and bought a few simple tools to try it, before i invested in anything of quality. that being said, the fabulous guy at the art supply store went to school for print making and also uses japanese tools (he likes that you pull towards yourself rather than pushing away). if they sound the same as the ones you would like to find online, send me a message as he did tell me where he bought them online and i can ask him again!
    thanks for the great project idea~
    k.

    mimicharmante@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!