Friday, November 18, 2016

Right this minute

I'm getting excited for Thanksgiving. We're hosting this year and I haven't had time to sit down and do my usual planning process, but I'm looking forward to getting all my lists done tomorrow morning.

Also looking forward to decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving. It's the first time we've been in a real house for the holidays and I've got a few bits of decor squirreled away.

I've been reeling since the election and just feeling overwhelmed a lot. I think I'm a pessimist at heart (I try not to be!) and I tend to just feel like giving up when things get heavy politically. We took last weekend and drove up to see my niece and nephew and it made a huge difference and reminded me that I have to keep contributing. I'm plotting my next steps (hoping to find a good fit volunteering, since we aren't really in a position financially to give much money) but for now I'm trying to focus on doing small nice things daily, even if they are in no way political, just to get some good karma out into the world. Donate blood, participate in a toy drive, give to the local food bank, call our local politicians. I just feel really helpless and I'm not sure what I should be doing, to be honest.

On a lighter note, I'm embarrassed to admit that I just can't get into Wolf Hall, even though so many of you have recommended it! What is wrong with me? I was pretty confused in the beginning and it helped once I figured out that "he" basically always refers to Cromwell. My Tudor history is only so-so at this point, which I guess might be making it more difficult. I pushed through a full 50% of the book and then had to take a break. I feel like a failed reader because I never quit books, so I'm telling myself I'll come back to it when my mind is clearer. But really, what am I not getting?

14 comments:

  1. I've definitely found that forcing myself to read a book really decreases the chances I will enjoy it in the end. So maybe just step away and read another book and come back to Wolf Hall. I've also personally found that I have a difficult time making huge jumps in genre, like switching from contemporary to historical or scifi/fantasy. I kind of have to ease out of a genre to move onto something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! Forcing it makes it worse! I finally decided to take a break because a couple of my other wait listed books came in and I knew I'd get resentful if I was still struggling through Wolf Hall when I wanted to be reading something new. Hopefully I can come back to it with a clearer head.

      Delete
  2. I also read about half of Wolf Hall, took a long break, and came back to it. I really enjoyed it once I restarted it. I found I had to let myself get into the rhythm of the book, and not spend too much time worrying if I was catching every historical reference. It does get much more compelling near the end too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better! It's a pretty dense book (and long) so a break might do me good. I'll put it back on my library list and check it out again once I've re-grouped (and maybe reviewed my historical references).

      Delete
  3. Oh, Wolf Hall. Have to admit I gave up on it. Working out which Thomas was which simply became too much of a headache and that Anne Boleyn just got on my wick. I gave up on The Sunne in Splendour, too (about Richard 111 and the constant knocking nine bells out of each other during the Wars of the Roses). Maybe historical fiction isn't my thing. Good luck, though, if you decide to have another crack at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with Em's comment. I had barely any Tudor history either, but by the end, I was so admiring of the style of storytelling, the drama, and the empathy she created for a largely detested historical figure. (Having said all that, I'm also totally in favor of not continuing books that you're not enjoying).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any historical work I'm having trouble with, I spend either a lot of time with Wikipedia, watch the movie, or both. I was having a hard time getting into White Queen because I was so unfamiliar with the time period, and watching the miniseries was quite helpful. Names and faces came together, and the things that are sometimes harder to read between the lines became clearer (eg, costumes and how they can tell something about an individual's role in the story, accents, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I didn't manage to finish Wolf Hall. And I rarely leave a book half-read, and also I love lots of other books by Hilary Mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The holidays can be so overwhelming without proper planning! I am feeling very far behind myself. Hoping I can set aside some time to prep so I can truly enjoy the holidays and not get stressed. Wishing you a happy holiday with fun and relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started and re-started Wolf Hall many times before I finally made it through to the end! I have to say I ended up being very happy that I did. It does pick up the pace a little towards the end and being more comfortable with her writing style definitely helps. I also allowed myself to read it in very tiny chunks and just sit with the language, which I did find beautiful when I allowed myself to relax instead of getting through it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard Elizabeth Gilbert talk about Wolf Hall on a podcast, although now I can't remember which one, and she seemed just blown away by Hillary Mantel's approach to writing about a historic topic in a modern style. I think maybe that's part of why it was such a big deal? I actually liked it but got a bit bored and also quit halfway through.... BUT I'm still thinking of trying to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you the best of luck with your Thanksgiving prep! You always do such a great job, so I know it will work out, but I'll be sending you positive vibes from Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys, thanks for the Wolf Hall support! I was feeling like I was crazy, or completely missing something. I'll take a bit of a break, maybe brush up on my history, and then come back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit that I had a bit of a cheat on my side when I read Wolf Hall--I had watched the first few seasons of The Tudors, so I could easily picture each different Thomas. It really did help a ton to have that in my head. But honestly what I loved about the book was that Hilary Mantel took a notorious villain of history and made him her series' hero. By the end I admired him a ton, too, which was a strangely great feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!