Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Decorating

Our tree is trimmed! I'm doing a little fist punch in the air right now.

It might not be traditional, but we love it. We decided that we didn't want to run out and buy a bunch of ornaments just to fill the spaces, so we've been slowly collecting a motley mix. It's perfect for us. We have ornaments from trips we've taken and some that were gifts and the rest are handmade.

The simplest are just prints (from some of our original linocuts) that I backed on colored cardstock and cut out.

linocut fig, christmas tree
{linocut fig, christmas tree}

There are some laser cut robots (having access to a laser cutter is incredible - it is literally the only thing I miss about Dustin being in architecture school).

laser cut robot, christmas tree
{laser cut robot, christmas tree}

And of course, the luchadores from last year peek out from all over the tree.

london bus, tree
{luchador, hiding behind a bus}

22 comments:

  1. Your tree is very original and beautiful! It is great to be unconventional!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mish-mash approach is always best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very sweet. I like how you mix the tree with things that you both make and love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. your ornaments are amazing. and i love how you just gradually collect special ornaments instead of buying a twenty pack of matching ones. ornaments should have some sort of personal/sentimental meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above posters. Growing up, our tree never 'matched'. A great Christmas tree is like a charm bracelet, and as you peruse the ornaments, they should bring back memories of Christmases past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun tree! it's far more imaginative than mine that's simply filled with anything that's silver or white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is what makes the tree special to me - any decorator could run to the store (if they had funds) and do whatever, but a tree developed over the years has true 'heart'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been waiting to see what a "Rachel" Christmas Tree looks like :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful....My tree is alot like yours in that the ornaments are from all over and evoke special memories! Have an awesome day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the fig ornament, it's very classic and simple. decorating for christmas makes me so happy!
    xo meg

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this tree and I really miss having access to a lazor cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! Ours is the same way. We pick out a set of two together each year

    ReplyDelete
  13. so cute! I just love your blog!

    xoxo

    www.iplayinla.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luchador? That is one rad Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very cool! I am a big fan of the robot ornament and now desperately want one for my tree...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Motley mixes of ornaments gradually acquired are one of my favorite things about christmas. It's like an artful, whimsical little personal history. I love that you shared yours here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a magical tree! So pretty! I love the double decker bus!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! My little boy would love a robot ornament :) Maybe next year we'll make some!

    ReplyDelete
  19. collecting ornaments over the years means that each one will have meaning and a story. love the robots

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah so jealous - We don't have our tree yet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so creative and unique. Having this Christmas tree without spending much is cool and very nice idea.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!