Tuesday, May 10, 2016

House peeks

We're pretty well settled in here and we love it. I am not great at getting wide angle photos, but I tried to snap a few to document our progress. We still have a few small things on our list and I'm hoping to block out some time this spring to work on the garden.

cabinets galore

Can I tell you how much I love all the cupboards in our kitchen? For the first time ever, I have more cupboards than I do stuff, and it is as amazing as I dreamed it would be.

bedroom

Our beloved homesteads by Lily are back in our bedroom, and we're using the sweet mini night tables that D made for our last place, as well as the light fixtures we put together during our Brendan Ravenhill workshop. Not pictured - the disappointing fact that our dresser is 3/4 of an inch too high to allow the windows to open, which means we have to track down a new dresser before summer hits.

lounge

There is a little living room off our bedroom where we have our TV and a ton of family photos. It is insane to me that we have both a "formal" living room and a lounge area, but I love it.

living room

The "formal" living room, and yes, the fireplace works and I'm very excited for the holidays in this space next year. Entertaining here has been a dream so far. I cannot overemphasize how excited I am to have a dining room and full sized living room again.

front room

The built ins just kill me. So good. Our friends have taken such good care of the house and we feel lucky they trust us with it and I want to leave it in even better shape than we found it. Of course, it's over a hundred years old and I could easily come up with a list of projects a mile long but I'm trying to restrain myself and focus on just a few things here and there. I mostly do lots of google searches on craftsman houses and moon over all the details and then scour This Old House for information on how to care for vintage wainscoting and linoleum floors.

16 comments:

  1. So much character! Is the bedroom open to the rest of the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just don't have a wide enough lens to really capture the set up! The bedroom has one door that leads into the little lounge and one door on the other side that leads into the hallway. I think an open bedroom might be too much for me. : )

      Delete
    2. Agreed, open bedrooms add a different sort of character!

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous! What a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house looks amazing, I'm really digging the darker wall colors!

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, so happy you're regularly posting again. I rarely comment but read every post and (as cheesy as this sounds) draw a lot of inspiration/ideas, so thank you! Second, this place is gorgeous, built-ins are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so gorgeous! The little corner with all the picture frames made me smile and gosh, the fireplace and built-ins are equally amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I adore old houses and built-ins are the best. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super charming. having too many cupboards for my stuff is a fantasy I have not yet experienced - sounds incredible! plus, good light = more photos = lucky us.

    (on a side note, and feel free to ignore if it's none of my business, I feel like perhaps I missed something. Housesitting for friends? Renting a place from friends? Is this a longer-term type move for you, or chilling here until the next place emerges? For whatever reason, I feel like it gives helpful context to know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I mentioned it in passing while we were moving, but didn't really go into it! We're renting from friends while they pursuing opportunities in another city. So we're here for a minimum of one year, possibly more!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely house - very Oak Park! I didn't realize LA had homes built in this style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many! There's actually a very wide variety of house type in LA, which is fun. There are several neighborhoods that have lots of these early 1900 Craftsman style houses and in Pasadena they even have an annual tour that showcases a bunch of them, which I'd like to go on someday.

      Delete
  9. So charming! I love your blog and have been very happy to see you your recent posts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my you have hit the LA house jackpot and I am so enviable! Enjoy it and filling up those built-ins!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!