Thursday, June 9, 2011

Couscous salad with roasted vegetables

A rare bit of cooking from around these parts, and there's no recipe. Luckily, you won't need one.

couscous with roasted veggies
{couscous with roasted veggies}

Just go through your fridge and find whatever veggies are waiting to be used, toss them with olive oil and sea salt, roast them at 400 degrees until soft. I used cauliflower, carrots, beets and tossed them with plenty of chopped fresh sage.

In the meantime, cook your whole wheat couscous with a tablespoon or so of butter. You could be virtuous and leave it out, but you're about to eat all those veggies and the flavor is lovely. You do realize that couscous takes less than five minutes to "cook", right? You can just pour boiling water over it and then wait.

Mix the veggies and the couscous. Splash in a bit of balsamic vinegar, if you like. Crumble in some chevre if you have it. Eat warmish or cold from the fridge the next day. And the next, if you're like me and accidentally made enough for 8 people.

We're still on a soup and cheese and cracker diet for the most part. I cannot seem to find time to cook anything these days and I've given up caring. I'll get back to it, someday.

14 comments:

  1. Yum. I love meals like this. Easy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the balsamic vinegar would be so tasty! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my co-worker used to throw this together ~ i absolutely loved it! thanks for the reminder that i NEED to make this asap for dinner. and it really is TOO easy isn't it? love that too. simple, simple, easy, simple.
    xo ~ kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Easy food is where we are at. Except last night when the power went out, and we barbecued. That was like a treat for us.

    Related: I have eaten tomato sandwiches as five of my last six meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks beyond delicious, I want some!
    Happy day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a BIG couscous fan so I'm loving this!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! a similar "trashcan quinoa" recipe is on pretty regular rotation at my house—it inevitably makes about 7 lbs, since the point is to "dispose" of anything left in the crisper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM. Going to make this pronto with all our leftovers. My mom had some fancy FIG balsamic I've already demolished in the kitchen and need to get s'more of...I'll give you the name of the stuff because, lady, it will only make leftover veggie creations even MORE delish.

    sending love and wedding-planning magic. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looks good *mouth waters* That would also be excellent cold to take to work for lunch. I'm a big fan of beets and chevre together. Some toasted sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds sprinkled in there would also be good.

    my idea of perfection

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, you are too cute this is a perfect lunch and I know how you feel about cooking right now, if it doesn't take less than 10 minutes I haven't the energy to move forward:)

    xx,

    Miss B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! I love a simple easy peasy recipe - especially this time of year when the last thing I want is to be in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm such a fan of cous cous and roasted veg. I'm impressed - I think if I was planning a wedding, I wouldn't have time even to make super-simple cous cous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny how that goes, isn't it? When suddenly cooking seems like an insurmountable challenge. Even if I'm hungry I can't come up with what I want- complete brain freeze. The cous cous looks like a great solution!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!