Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Simple, cozy casserole

I would love to take credit for this recipe, but I can't. D dreamed it up a few weeks ago, when he was craving baked ziti and we realized that neither of us actually knows what baked ziti is - I'm pretty sure this isn't it. It just sounds good, right? We've made this dish three times since it was invented, and we're seriously in love.

DSC_1010

D's baked pasta (makes 6 - 8 servings)
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce (we recommend the pesto and sundried tomato marinara from Whole Foods)
1 (12 oz) container of the best ricotta you can get, preferably fresh
Some snips of fresh basil, if you've got it around
2 good quality raw sausages, optional (we use the hot pork sausages made in house at WF)
12 ounces of your favorite penne pasta* (we use multi grain flax from TJs)
Small handful of grated cheese (pyranno is my fave)

1. Get your pasta water on the stove so it can start heating up while you do everything else.

2. Slice the skin on the sausage and dump the meat into a skillet to cook. You could probably just slice the sausage but I'm still a little freaked out about sausage skin for some reason.

3. Pour your marinara sauce into a medium bowl and add the ricotta, the chopped basil and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir it around. Sneak little bites to make sure it tastes right.

4. Put the pasta in the boiling water and cook till it's just slightly less cooked than you actually like it to be. Drain.

5. Stir the cooked sausage into the marinara mixture.

6. Pour half of the marinara mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan. Layer the cooked pasta on top. Pour the remaining marinara over the pasta. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.

7. Bake at 375 F for about 45 minutes, until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts.

You'll be amazed at how fast this all comes together. It's super easy and doesn't take much concentration - perfect for a weeknight.

*Sorry, I use a food scale for measuring pasta, so I don't know how many cups this is. Pasta usually comes in 16 oz bags, so 12 oz would be about 3/4 of the bag, if that helps.

12 comments:

  1. i'm so impressed that you two just threw this together. looks amazing and perfect for a chilly night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, i'm so excited to try this!
    thank you for sharing.

    p.s. how much did you get your food scale for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. summer, i've had my food scale for years, and i have no idea how much i paid for it. it's a pretty simple digital scale - i think it was from bed, bath and beyond? sorry i'm not more helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kay, nothing to do with the pasta, (though it does looks delicious) but yay, you're back! hope your stepdad is feeling better by the day... scary story in general, and as a fellow bike commuter i'm especially nervous about bike stories. eek.

    also, Heath LA is opening this weekend. I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm this looks good, one to try this weekend I think, thanks for sharing :)
    ps just found you through little glowing light's blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SO good. I'm so impressed that you guys just dreamed it up! I have a similar dish but it's not quite as classy---i call it "pizzaroni" and it involves pasta, cheese, canned pizza sauce and some turkey pepperoni...
    I can't wait to give your ziti a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, feeling better already, now that you are back to feeding me with great tastes! Yummo!
    Just the word casserole makes me feel oh so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Rachel I'm so glad you are back! I really missed you wonderful posts.

    This little casserole sounds perfect for a snowy night in front of the fireplace with a bottle of wine. xoxo...

    ReplyDelete
  9. atta girl, welcome back
    kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that looks soooo good! I wish I wasn't gluten free!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds perfectly comforting! I am happy you are back to blogging. I hope your stepfather is recovering.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love anything that can be thrown in a bowl, and baked. this. sounds. delicious,.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!