Thursday, January 7, 2010

Almond crescents

I didn't get around to doing much baking this year. At 2 pm the day before Christmas Eve I had a brief panic when I realized I hadn't started and I needed supplies. I took a deep breath, went to Trader Joe's and bought several boxes of cookies and then came home a took a long nap. It wasn't the same as homemade, but I enjoyed the feeling of being fully rested and sane.

almond crescents
{almond crescents}

But I couldn't let the season slip by without any kitchen time, so I made D's favorite Christmas cookies for New Year's Eve. This is a family recipe and we call them almond crescents but they are very similar to Mexican wedding cookies. They are not terribly sweet and they have a wonderful, crumbly texture. I think you are supposed to add almond extract, but I have a violent opposition to it and I don't see why it's necessary when the dough is largely composed of actual almonds.

The dough is a cinch, but shaping the crescents is a bit time consuming, so make sure you have some music on before you start working. These also freeze beautifully (after being baked), so you can make them ahead of time and then just let them defrost when you want them.

Almond crescents
{almond crescents}

Almond Crescents

Beat until soft:
1 cup unsalted butter

Add gradually until light and fluffy:
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Beat in:
2 egg yolks

Add:
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 - 1/2 lb ground almonds (I buy the almond meal from TJs to save time)

Roll into crescents by hand and place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 until the bottoms are just golden brown.

Cool slightly, then roll in powdered sugar (per the original recipe) or superfine bakers sugar (our modern preference).

To freeze, let them cool completely and then seal tightly in freezer bags, pressing out as much excess air as possible. Remove cookies from the bag and place them on a plate to defrost before serving.

almond crescents
{almond crescents}

20 comments:

  1. i always make an embarrassing display anytime i come in contact with these cookies. i typically inhale 4 right off the bat, and then walk around with powder all over my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes these every Christmas. While I used to think they were kinda the old lady of holiday cookies, along with date tarts, I really like them now and find them a tasty relief from loads of shortbread :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my grandmother makes these every year, and they are so delicious and so addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yummy - they remind me of pecan sandies, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh gosh. crumbly and covered in sugar. my favorite kind of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, i want to make these tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delicious and the recipe seems very easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Russian Tea Cakes. I always try to freeze them, but then I eat them instead. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those look delicious! Will have to file this recipe away for next Christmas. (or sometime sooner when I don't feel like I've had a few too many cookies.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sound great! Really nice photos, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My oma makes something similar to these but shapes them like horseshoes and covers the in granulated sugar. yum! I'm going to try to this while it is still winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm...I love almond-flavored goodies!

    I purchased one of your rosebud belts for a Christmas gift. I was so excited when I received it in the mail. It was beautiful! Keep up the fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We make them at our house too! I actually JUST finished the last few with my after-dinner tea. So so so delicious! And almonds are healthy, right...so these are 'healthy' cookies! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must must must make these! Thank you for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh they look so cute. i should try them. i bet they make nice thumbprint cookies too with a dollop of jam in them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh this look yummy! If only I wasn't on a new year diet.. could I make some and not eat them all perhaps??

    ReplyDelete
  17. i made a gluten-free version of these this weekend. just used brown rice flour instead of regular flour and added a pinch of xanthan gum. so unbelievably delightful. i had to freeze half the batch immediately so i wouldn't get carried away. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Does anyone know how big of a batch this makes? I was thinking about making some of these for my wedding (because I'm doing all my baking for the reception, in advance, because I'm crazy) they look so-o yummy and cute to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ anon - I'm honestly not sure how many it makes! It's an old family recipe and I've never checked. It will vary quite a bit depending on how large you make the crescents. I think I usually get about 2 dozen, but I keep the crescents pretty small, about 2 bite size. I'll have to try to count next time I make them and add the information here.

    They are great for making ahead because they freeze really well. We did them for my sister's wedding reception and they were perfect. I just pulled them out of the freezer the morning of the reception and put them on large platters to defrost.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!