Friday, April 20, 2012

Purchases - gifts

:: A tie bar for D. It was a no-particular-reason splurge, but I couldn't resist once I realized that he'd had the browser page open for three weeks.

tie bar

It is gorgeous. Sadly, the wedding last weekend was destined to be the one and only outing it got. Apparently tie bars (or maybe just this one?) are not designed to withstand a truly serious dance party. We didn't realize it had come off until towards the end of the night, at which point there was no way we were going to find it again. D did leave his number with the venue manager, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that it turns up. And trying not to feel too bummed about it.

:: An anatomical heart vase for Em (purchased jointly with a friend) - you can see it in her place here.

:: Some kitchen necessities for another friend who is getting married soon. A rolling pin + cookie dough scoop - I was sad that someone snagged the silicone baking mat off her registry before I got there because that would have been the perfect trio.

11 comments:

  1. No-particular-reason splurges are the best kind of gifts! Hope the beautiful tie bar does indeed turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these tie bars are seriously beautiful! so sorry yours got lost - I am sending positive vibes in hopes that it is found. if anyone has suggestions for similar, less expensive ones, please do share. i would love to buy my husband one, but these, although gorgeous, are too much of a splurge for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I couldn't find anything even vaguely similar online! I did a little bit of searching when D first mentioned the tie clip and it's really hard to find nice simple, modern looking ones. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. so sorry to hear about the AWOL tie bar! that shape is really great, as are nikolai rose's other pieces - you may have just scored a good birthday present for joe (who is usually impossible to shop for - thanks!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some lovely stuff on there! The shape is so hard to get right, I find, and this one is really perfect.

      Delete
  4. OMG!!!

    Another one of our guests called on Monday to say they found a tie clip on the dance floor. They mailed it and it arrived yesterday.

    Call me if you'd like and we'll arrange to mail it back to you.

    Fay and Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHH!!! THANK YOU! Dustin is going to be so relieved - he was feeling terrible about losing a special gift. I'll get in touch with you guys! How sweet that one of the guests sent it back!

      Delete
  5. Oh I am so glad the tie bar is making it's way back to you! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, it was found! Very lucky! :)

    My favorite gift when I was a broke student is a holiday plate and a couple of cookie cutters for their first holiday season together...if I looked year-round, I usually lucked out and found gorgeous non-chipped plates at thrift stores, as well as the lovely metal cookie cutters with the wooden handles for much less than they'd cost otherwise (though TJ Maxx sorts of stores are another good place to find them).

    As I've transitioned out of the broke student phase, I usually add a set of two silpats and cookie sheets, two of my favorite kitchen supplies. You can stock up through Amazon's 4 for 3 program and get free shipping, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved circle pins for women - not that I actually wear them very often, especially since I've given up jackets and blazers for the most part). So I'm really diggin' on the circular tie bar. Glad you got it back! "Reunited and it feels so good"!

    ~Flaneuse in DC

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!












    Online Birthday Gifts

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!