Thursday, August 8, 2013

Another summer cocktail ...

I came home last week to an unexpected package on my doorstep - always exciting. And when I opened it and realized sweet cevd had sent me a bottle of the 2013 Spring/Summer edition of  Greenhat gin, I had to test it immediately. Luckily I'd made some simple syrup a couple weeks ago and I had one sad lemon hanging out on the counter. This is the simplest drink with just a hint of rosemary.

greenhat gin
{greenhat}

Lemon + gin cocktail (serves 1 but you'll probably want a second)
1 oz lemon juice
2 oz good gin (I used Greenhat, which is more herbaceous and floral than piney)
1/4 oz rosemary simple syrup (or slightly more if you like it sweeter)

:: Pour everything in the cocktail shaker with a couple of ice cubes, shake, strain and serve.

Rosemary simple syrup (pretty sure this came from this post)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 large sprig rosemary

:: Bring the sugar and the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the rosemary, remove from heat and let it sit  and infuse until fully cool. Store in a bottle in the fridge, for emergencies.

8 comments:

  1. love this--simple drinks are usually the best. i'm all about the flavored simple syrup, i'm currently in the process of playing with basil, blueberries and gin...results should be in soon :)

    wheretheenemysleeps.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make an obscene amount of different simple syrups during the summer, and then put them into 8 oz canning jars and freeze them -- it's a great way to have lots of options if you're craving something in particular, and not be locked into just one kind of herb or fruit syrup at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favourite line: "store...in the fridge, for emergencies" Good call. I often need to make gin cocktails for emergencies (ie. it's sunny out, I had a bad day, I had a good day, etc). Love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the recipe! I'd love to see a post about creating a fully stocked bar, essentials you recommend for impromptu cocktails, etc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so flattered but I'm not the best person to ask! I'm definitely not a cocktail expert and we keep an incredibly limited bar because we're low on space. Although maybe that would be useful? I'll think about it. : )

      Delete
  5. I love rosemary simple syrup. And it's the only plant we've managed to keep alive this summer, it was obviously meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!