Thursday, July 16, 2009

Parsley dip, two ways

My little garden has been going nuts. Look at this parsley harvest!

fresh parsley
{parsley bouquet}

Tip: You prune parsley a little differently than you do basil. New growth sprouts from the inside of each bunch, so you should chop off stalks around the outer edges, and leave the new growth intact.

Lots of recipes use a little bit of parsley, but I needed something that would use up my bounty. Luckily, the Greeks love parsley. I picked out two different recipes, one completely uncooked and the other stewed.

parsley dip
{raw parsley dip}
Maidanosalata - raw parsley dip (slightly adapted from Modern Greek)

*This contains a raw egg, which means you run the risk of getting salmonella. Personally, I think it's a slim chance and I'm fine with it, but if you're pregnant or immune compromised, you might want to pass.

3 slices sourdough bread
1 1/2 bunches of fresh flat leaf parsley, stalks on, chopped
1 medium sized onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 egg
2/3 cup olive oil
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper

:: Place everything except the oil and vinegar in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Slowly pour in the oil and vinegar, while mixing (similar to making an aioli). Season with salt and pepper.

cooked parsley dip
{stewed parsley dip}
Stewed parsley dip (slightly adapted from The Glorious Foods of Greece)

1/2 cup olive oil (I used a little less)
2 medium onions, chopped
8 cups coarsely chopped parsley
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (canned are fine)
Salt & pepper, to taste

:: Heat olive oil in a wide, heavy pot and cook the onions over medium low heat until wilted and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the parsley and toss to coat. Cook until wilted completely, about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. (At this point, I poured it in the food processor and pulsed it a few times, for a slightly smoother texture).
We ate both of these with flatbread. They were so different, but both wonderful. The raw parsley dip has a sharp flavor with just a bit of heat. The stewed parsley dip is mellow and a bit sweet from the cooked onions and tomatoes.

summer drinks

Very summery.

27 comments:

  1. Oh, I absolutely love parsley, and those dips really looks amazing :) I sometimes makes mixed salads with lots of parsley instead of the usual lettuce. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! If you're using a raw egg, the fresher the egg, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those drinks look great. what are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. these photographs are delightful and the dips sound delicious. i think i'll try both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great tip for my bounty of Parsley! Looks yummy-I'm going to make this! Thank you for sharing-I was wondering how I was ever going to use it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks amazing...i would be all about the raw dip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. tabbouleh is another great way to use up parsley. i was all about the parsley last summer...how i wish i had some now but my dog keeps eating it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stewed parsley dip sounds so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious, as usual. And so pretty too, combined with those drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never thought of using parsley as a dip - very intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd definitely going to make this next time I have people over. My parsley garden is well overgrown & I've barely used any of it... Like you said recipes usually don't call for much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know that about harvesting parsley. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So creative! I'd never heard of a cooked parsley dip before, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The raw dip has such an amazing color! And I love your yellow dress - where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  15. um, YUMMMMMMM.

    so THAT's what i need to do with all my parsley out back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, the maidanosalata looks especially amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ anette - I haven't tried using parsley instead of salad greens, but now I want to! Thanks for the idea.

    @ {natalie} - the drinks are moscow mules, which I have never made, but our guest whipped them up that evening. Gingerbeer and vodka and mint. Yum.

    @ Katie - the yellow dress is from Ross! I think it cost $10, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How delicious! Your photography is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy! You have the best-looking food. How I'd love to attend a cocktail party thrown by you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please come to my house and make these things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sweet idea for an impromptu bride's bouquet....
    talk about green....you always make the bestest things.
    yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  22. i so needed this! my parsley + cilantro are growing like crazy [love it though!]. thanks + happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both sound yummy... I've never tried parsley dip before, but I think I will now (plus, isn't everything delicious with flatbread?)!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What scrumptious-looking dips! I want to try them both...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, very helpful-- now I know what to do with the oversize parsley (and sole survivor) in my garden! I just cooked #2 and it it has a very intriguing yet pleasant taste -- Alex

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!