The secret is lots of shredded carrot. It makes the muffins incredibly moist. They are not very sweet, but that makes them an excellent companion to apricot jam or honey.
Carrot-bran muffins (heavily changed from the Bob's Red Mill package, makes 12)
|1||cup wheat bran|
|1 1/2||cups whole wheat flour|
|1/4||cup brown sugar|
|1 1/4||cups skim milk|
|2||tbsp. canola oil|
|1 1/4||cup carrots, shredded (about 2 large carrots) |
|1||tsp baking soda|
|1||tsp baking powder|
- Have oven pre-heated to 400 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin with liners or baking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients and whisk.
- Add raisins and shredded carrots to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- In another bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients.
- Mix everything together until the batter is just moist. Don't overmix or the muffins will be tough. The batter will be very thick. Spoon evenly into the muffin cups.
- Bake 15 minutes or until muffins rise and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.