Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The weekend before last, briefly

morning
{morning}

besties
{besties}

louks!
{louks!}

loukamades
{loukamades}

jade forest
{jade forest}

circe playing dead
{circe playing dead}

sorting pennies
{sorting pennies}

wet paws
{wet paws}

:: notes :: 

We dogsat Circe again and it went much more smoothly this time, except that now I think she's confused about which home she prefers. I'd have tried to dognap her, except that I think my parents would notice and we also live in a no pets building. Minor issues.

I never go to the annual street fair in Orange anymore because I can't handle the crowds. But our beloved mechanic happens to be right down the street (yep, we drive 45 minutes to get to our mechanic because I've been going to him since I was 16 and I don't want to find a new one) and I snuck in for a quick order of loukamades. It was only 10 am, but since they're basically Greek donuts, I decided they counted as breakfast. They are fluffy little balls of dough, deep fried and then steeped in honey and cinnamon and they're heavenly.

We spent a lot of time at homebound with Circe, and managed to clean out two closets, wrangle our garden and roll all our loose coins. Thrilling! I adore that dog, but she is not always a considerate house guest. She basically bathes in her water dish and takes great joy in sloshing waves across the floor. Mere kitchen towels barely stem the flood.

I haven't been taking many photos lately because we've been doing lots of this type of thing, either at our own apartment or at our parents' houses. And it isn't even that decluttering and brutal yardwork is never picturesque, it's just that when my arms are occupied hauling loads of stuff around I don't exactly have a free hand for the camera. There hasn't been much cooking either. I get home and just can't work up any enthusiasm for getting  in the kitchen and then we scavenge or eat out way more often than usual. I'm not (particularly) stressed about it, but I am resolving to come up with a new, simpler meal planning strategy this week so that I can be a bit brainless for a while. Let's not even talk about crafting. There is none of that right now.

None of this is to say that there haven't been a lot of great moments around here. We've had a couple of fantastic long dinners with friends. I got D to go on a run with me so I could explore a river trail that always looked slightly too sketchy to do alone (as it turns out, it only has one marginally sketchy stretch!). There was a lot of Circe cuddling. We've had plenty of basil-mint mojitos and rattlers. I think we've done a petty good job of making the most of this summer, all things considered.

10 comments:

  1. That pup is so cute! I wish I knew someone who needed a puppy sitter, just so I could get my pooch fix!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's a huge jade plant! and thanks for your kind words today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Chapman and somehow never went to the Orange Street Fair. Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely -- that doggy is just too cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a louk but they louk and sound very good! That Circe dog sure is cute.

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a great photographer! Love these photos. Currently reading your post at 100 layers and its so lovely. Your wedding is amazing, totally admiring the streamers and bright pops of colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I love the Orange street fair, and the loukamades! Those, the bratwurst on German street, and the tacos on Mexico street are my go-to items.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh I wish I had some loukoumades right now!!! (It's loukoumades with ou) It's so funny they write it "louks" on the container!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those louks look amazing.

    I am so with you on the lack of cooking enthusiasm. And it's not even because I don't have time - I just don't feel like it/have no idea what to make. (Despite the dozens of cookbooks on my bookshelf.) If you come up with a new meal planning strategy, please do share. I need some new motivation.

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!