Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Moved!

We survived, by the skin of our teeth. Neither of us could take any time off work and we had a very quick turn around. We were moving out of our little house on Saturday and the new tenant was moving in on Sunday. Since she's a friend of a friend we wanted to leave everything perfect, so I literally mopped my way out of the house and then left the keys with our friends and said a tearful goodbye (we're only moving four miles away, so it's not like we won't be seeing them, but it still feels sad!).

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We hired movers, which was a life saver. They ended up running a couple hours early which threw off our schedule. I was literally just throwing things into boxes as they carried stuff out of the house. It wasn't my finest hour. Moving brings out the worst in me anyways because I get a little panicky seeing all our stuff gathered in one place. What is all this stuff and why do we own it? Should we consider giving up all our hobbies and just watching TV instead? Think of the space savings! It would be so much easier to move if we weren't also hauling around my sewing, baking, crocheting, macrame and paper goods supplies, along with D's ceramics and woodworking tools and bikes and surfboards and our camping equipment and our books, etc, etc, etc.

We didn't accumulate anything new this year other than a camping tent, which means that everything we owned (and more! we pared down when we moved last year) used to fit perfectly well in our old 600 sf apartment, but you wouldn't have known that if you saw the insane pile of boxes in our new house.

I could barely sleep on Saturday night because I was so wired from the day. I was up at the crack of dawn on Sunday and unpacking. I was a beast. I didn't stop until all the boxes were emptied and I paid for it the next day when every single muscle in my body rebelled.

But we're in! We still have some work to do but it feels so good. More pictures to come, as soon as I'm actually home while it's light outside and can take some. I'm also busy rearranging everything in the kitchen over and over again, so we'll have to see how that settles out. Those cabinets though!

11 comments:

  1. "Moving brings out the worst in me anyways because I get a little panicky seeing all our stuff gathered in one place. What is all this stuff and why do we own it?" Erm yes, this exactly. Sometimes I look around our apartment and think "I OWN all this STUFF? How is that possible? Wasn't I just* happily living in a dorm room with a few Target towels and a laptop to my name?" (*12 years ago)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New house...?! Congratulations! That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a house but it's just a rental! I wish we were purchasing, though ...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I hear you...purchasing is still a distant dream of mine, but someday, maybe! Still--must be exciting to have so much space, especially after the last place :)

      Delete
  3. You're a beast! I love your story-telling capabilities. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just moved too, and this pretty much sums up my own experience. Hobbies, so many hobbies! And all the stuff, stuff, stuff, that comes along with it. The minimal life is appealing, but it would be too boring without the ability to create things. Cooking, baking, sewing, arting, outdoorsing, all of it is too good to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it! Moving really is so stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anytime I ever pass someone on the road that is obviously in the process of moving I say an genuine prayer for them because moving, no matter what the circumstances, is the WORST. Can't wait to see more pictures, that shelving is everything! Congrats on your new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving is just the worst. Congrats on making it through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We moved in September and despite everything going smoothly (and also only moving a short distance away), it was exhausting. Glad your move went smoothly. Can't wait to see pics of the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on the move! My husband and I just moved to SoCal two weeks ago from Maryland and are slowly starting to settle in. Very excited to start exploring :)

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!