Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Asian slaw

We made this twice in two weeks, which is generally a good indication of a pretty awesome recipe. It's nice and light and slightly spicy. The leftovers are particularly good with cold steak, if you happen to have some in the fridge. We did make a trip to the Japanese grocery store for the daikon, but everything else should be easily found at your usual place.

slaw
{slaw}


Asian slaw (original recipe from here, serves 6 if it has a starring role in your meal, 8 - 10 if it's part of a bigger spread)

6 cups thinly sliced savoy cabbage (or napa cabbage - I actually prefer napa)
1 cup coarsely grated peeled carrots
1 cup coarsely grated peeled daikon radish
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 2x1/3-inch strips (we cut ours smaller)
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 green onions, sliced
7 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 serrano chiles, seeded, minced

:: If you have a mandoline (I have this simple one and it works perfectly), this is a great time to bust it out. The julienne blade will make quick work of the carrots and daikon. Everything else is more easily cut by hand.

:: Once you have everything cut, combine the first 7 ingredients in large bowl. If you aren't going to eat the slaw soon, cover the bowl and stick it in the fridge. 

:: Whisk vinegar, sesame oil, vegetable oil, and chiles in medium bowl. Season dressing to taste with salt (I used about 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt, I believe) and pepper. If you're taking the salad to go, just put all your dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake it up when you get there.

:: Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat evenly. Don't use all the dressing right away! The first time we made this, we used all the dressing and it was perfect. The second time we used all the dressing and it ended up a bit overdressed. I would recommend starting out with half the dressing and then adding more to taste. 


If you've never used daikon or napa cabbage before, you might want to do a quick image search so that you know what to look for when you get to the store. Daikon doesn't look like your usual radishes and it has a very different flavor so you wouldn't want to substitute.

9 comments:

  1. Looks delish! I love it when a new recipe makes its way into the usual family recipe rotation. Twice in two weeks is a good sign! Looks like this one is sticking around.

    ;)

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very yummy, must try!

    http://poised-pink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. Perfect recipe for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea! We just got some cilantro in our CSA box so I might have to whip this up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect! I was looking for an asian style slaw salad and here it is - will be trying this out tomorrow night.

    P xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love asian slaws and this looks so fresh and yummy! We often get daikon in our CSA share so I'll bookmark this for future salad making fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making asian style slaw, but haven't used daikon before. I'll have to find it at the grocery and try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! This sounds good. Here is a really good Asian slaw recipe that I usually use:

    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/thai-summer-slaw-10000001622473/

    Its from Cooking Light. I think that I will combine the two recipes. I really like the idea of using Daikon and I like the fish sauce from my recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everytime I watch your great blog, theres something making me very hungry...

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!