Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Citrus salad

We are overrun with pomelos around here.

Untitled

I tried to force Circe in there for a size comparison but it still isn't quite doing justice to the scale of these things. They are huge. I tried zesting one and realized that I couldn't do it alone because I needed both hands to hold it and therefore couldn't also hold the microplane.

Pomelos are closely related to grapefruit, but the flavor is a bit milder. You can easily eat them without any sugar at all, although they aren't as sweet as an orange.

A few weeks ago we were going to a party and I needed to bring something. I stumbled on this citrus salad with bitters and honey  recipe and we had everything we needed. Done.

Untitled

After spending over an hour supremeing all that citrus I was starting to regret my decision not to run to the store and pick up a bag of chips instead. But the end result was so good that I'd actually be willing to do it again, although probably on a smaller scale. I used pomelos, Cara Cara oranges, blood oranges and Satsumas (I tend to go nuts in the citrus stall at the farmer's market this time of year) and then added some sliced kumquats and pomegranate seeds for garnish. So, so good.

Regular fruit salad skeeves me out. I think it's the bananas (that inevitably turn brown) and the grapes, which I love on their own but hate mixed in with other things. But a pile of citrus is always a winner.

5 comments:

  1. we've been getting pomelos in our fruit delivery at work and since no one knows what they are, I get them all to myself. I hate peeling them and by the time I am nearing the end always swear I'll never do it again but then I take a bite and forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! I usually hate fruit salad because I can't stand melon in all of its iterations but this sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! My friend from Switzerland always makes a supreme orange salad with a few cut up dates and mint for a post-fondue light dessert. It's pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about fruit salad. So glad to find I'm not alone. An all berry or all citrus salad though, that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fruit salads that are one colour - so pretty! My husband's family has so many fruit allergies - melon, blueberries, citrus, pineapple - that fruit salad inevitably becomes bananas, grapes, and apples, which is the saddest thing. This, however, looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!