Wednesday, January 22, 2014

FOUND

The coupe glasses of my dreams.

pomegranate caprihinas
{pomegranate caipirihinas*}

I'd been keeping an eye out for the perfect set for over a year but nothing seemed quite right. I wanted something with just the right proportions, no flare at the lip, a delicate stem, a reasonably sized cup** and I was perfectly willing to wait, especially since it seemed like maybe what I was looking for didn't actually exist and coupe glasses are hardly a necessity. And then I saw these in an antique mall in Palm Springs and they were exactly what I'd pictured and only $10 for the set of 4. BINGO!

They are so thin and delicate that D is convinced we'll break them within a year, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and make the most of them in the meantime.



*Pictured are the pomegranate caipirihinas I made for NYE which I didn't love. A little too sweet, maybe? Not enough brightness, even with the lime? They were greatly improved by a splash of cava but I probably won't make them again. BUT - other people did enjoy them or were possibly being very polite, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

** A proper cocktail is 4 oz, give or take - I love a drink as much as the next person but I just don't understand why you would have a 12 oz cocktail glass and yet 9 - 12 oz seems to be the most readily available size. There's ice, of course, but drinks that come in coupe glasses are usually shaken with ice and then served without. It's a mystery, guys.

***Prior to my serendipitous discovery I had trolled Ebay, our local bar shop and considered settling for a wholly acceptable and probably much more durable set from Libbey or Anchor Hocking.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE them. I too have been scouting fleas and thrift shops to no avail. Good score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had great luck buying pairs of coupes at thrift stores - you do have to look and be patient, but sometimes you'll find them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with these glasses! My husband thinks I'm a weirdo for all the time I spend scouring thrift-shop shelves for these. Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love coupes. when i saw the lismore waterford ones the irish girl inside of me melted a little, no lie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't need big glasses, I like wine in a small french glass usually, but I tried those mini Bormioli Rocco bodega glasses you like and the shape of them was just too small for my giant hands, hard to hold and I almost dropped one, I do like the look of them and they might be a good use for candles? I will probably pass them on to someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a bummer! I have very large hands for woman and I love those glasses. Sorry they didn't work for you!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a find. I dream of getting a set for champagne (is that proper? I don't even care)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are often referred to as champagne saucers! I think the only point against them is that a wide, shallow glass will let the bubbles disappear more quickly (prob why the tall, narrow flutes are more popular for champagne) but if you're pouring small glasses, I don't see it as a problem. I love how festive they are.

      Delete
  7. these are seriously lovely! they look like they were worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm waaay behind here, just keep forgetting to comment & tell you! I think it's called Cocktail Kingdom (online shop), they have 3.75 oz coupe glasses! I ordered the gold rimmed ones for occasions, not sure if they have plain ones, but if these delicate pretties don't survive the year…might be a good alternative :)

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!